Splunk Search

Join on one to many with max=0 still only returns 1 row per match

drpog

This is the query:

source=Audit earliest=-2d
[search source=Audit | stats count by persistent_id | where count > 20 and isnotnull(persistent_id) | fields persistent_id]
| JOIN max=0 Audit_Id
[ SEARCH source= Applicant ]
| table Audit_Id , FirstName, LastName

It first selects any rows from the audit table that have a not null persistent_id that occurs in the table more than 20 times. Then if any rows that have that persistent_id have turned up in the last 2 days it joins them to the Applicant table and returns a table result with the audit id and the names

The problem is that the join only returns the first match even though the max=0 setting is set.

I am trying to translate this sql query:

SELECT Audit_Id, FirstName, LastName
FROM Audit JOIN Applicant ON Audit_Id
WHERE persistent_id IN
(
SELECT persistent_id from Audit group by persistent_id having count(*)>20 and persistent_id is not null
)
and timestamp > DATEADD(hh, -48, GETDATE());

The sql returns

Audit_Id FirstName LastName
414 joe strummer

422 johny rotten
422 sid vicious

Whereas the splunk search returns

Audit_Id FirstName LastName
414 joe strummer

422 johny rotten

Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Joins are slow and usually not necessary. Try this query instead.

(source=Audit earliest=-2d 
[ search source=Audit 
| stats count by persistent_id 
| where count > 20 and isnotnull(persistent_id) 
| fields persistent_id] ) OR
source= Applicant 
| stats values(FirstName) values(LastName) by Audit_Id
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

drpog

Hi
the first bit of 2 day search (lines 1-5) returns 4 rows from the Audit table and really what I want to do is add the columns (firstname and lastname) from the other table (Applicant) to those 4 rows using the column Audit_Id which is common to both tables.

The change suggested above using OR gives me a result of 113000 rows

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the clarification. I've modified my answer. If that doesn't give the results you want, we can try using another subsearch.

---
0 Karma

drpog

Thanks rich, I appreciate the help, but unfortunately the result still goes from 4 rows to 113,000 rows

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. Here's a different search to try. Completely untested. The idea is to use each nested search to build the main search into something akin to source=Applicant (FirstName=<fname> LastName=<lname>...). If this goes nowhere then it's back to looking at why JOIN isn't showing all results.

source=Applicant [source=Audit earliest=-2d 
[ search source=Audit 
| stats count by persistent_id 
| where count > 20 and isnotnull(persistent_id) 
| fields persistent_id]  
| fields FirstName LastName]
| table Audit_Id FirstName LastName
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...