Splunk Search

JOIN on "_time +- 3sec"

BOstermeier
Explorer

Hi, I'm new to splunk 🙂

This is my query:
* Tagname="series" Wert="54" | JOIN _time [SEARCH Tagname="workload" ] | CHART VALUES(Wert) BY _time *

Goal:
The query above got me nearly 75% of my events. But sometimes the timestamp differs a little bit, so I need to have a tolerance range with +/- 3 seconds for "_time" .

How can I achieve this?

Thanks for your help,
Bastian

Tags (3)

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Could it be the same situation that this one : to pick one event, then run a second search to find the events "around" that event.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/136791/use-a-subsearch-to-define-earliest-and-latest-for-main-sea...

BOstermeier
Explorer

That goes in the right direction - However it does not fully complete my needs, because it is filtering on a fix amount of results and only in a certain timespan. I want to get always and the timespan should only be respective to the results found in search 1.

-> I have updated the question - I was able to get my results with a join (but not unfortunatly not all of them). Can you help here also?

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello there,
it is a little unclear to me if there are 3 fields: "key" "value" and "time" which are all fields, or there are more fields such as "named" which 'series' is a value of and andl "workload" is a field
if the latter, try this search: index=<your_index> sourcetype=<your_sourcetype> named="series" value="54" workload="*" | stats values(workload) as unique_workloads | mvexpand unique_workloads

hope it helps

0 Karma

BOstermeier
Explorer

No there are not other fields. field1="workload" and field2="series"

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

try searching workload=* series=* | bin span=1m _time | stats values(workload) as unique_workloads by _time
hope i understand the question ....

0 Karma

BOstermeier
Explorer

Thanks for your answer adonio: I think you got me wrong workload and series are not fields...

I have updated my question and also added a SQL Pseudocode. Do you understand it better now?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...