Splunk Search

Iterate through dbxquery (SQL) results?

lukenorthern
Engager

Hello

I have a search which is gathering 8 columns from a table. (below)

I want to make col1 available to query against later in the SPL. I tried to access via "rename query.col1 as col1" for example but the data does not seem to appear, almost as if query.col1 is not valid? Can't find any info on how to remedy this elsewhere on the site, apologies if this has been asked before. The query returns 1 row.

| dbxquery query="Select col1,col2,col3,col4,col5,col6,col7,col8 from JuiceTable
where col1 = 'special value'" connection="Juice-Prod"
| stats count as total
| eval Status=case(total=0,"Healthy",total > 0, "Critical")

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval Description=col1." - This alert monitors Juice"

If you real col1 contains special characters, then wrap it in single (not double) quotes

| eval Description='col1'." - This alert monitors Juice"

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The field names are the same as the column names.  No rename is needed.  In this example, it's just "col1".

"query" is the name of an argument to the dbxquery command.  It's not an object.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The stats command will reduce the event pipeline to a single event with one field (total). If you want more fields, you will have to modify the stats command

| stats count as total by col1

However, this will give you an event (row) for each value of col1, not the total number of events.

Alternatively, you could filter the events before the stats command

| where col1="some value"
| stats count as total

lukenorthern
Engager

Thanks for taking the time to respond @ITWhisperer  !

Great, and if I wanted to take that col1 value and say, include it in an evaluated field called description, how would I compile that?

e.g. below just produces col1 as plain text, rather than the actual value from the query

| eval Description="col1"." - "."This alert monitors Juice"

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval Description=col1." - This alert monitors Juice"

If you real col1 contains special characters, then wrap it in single (not double) quotes

| eval Description='col1'." - This alert monitors Juice"
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...