Splunk Search

Issues with lookup matching on field values

mbasharat
Contributor

Hi,

I have scan dataset. It has a field name TEXT. This field contains the data for test results. I am provided a data from SQL table which I am ingesting via DBConnect. This also contains TEXT field but along with Priorities to assign to. I am using data from SQL to create a saved search that outputs into a lookup.

My issue is that the data that is in the lookup has TEXT field with wildcard (%). I am not able to match what is in the raw data with what is in the lookup because of wildcard.

Sample:

In raw data:

TEXT= Cas is required to perform this test.

In lookup:

TEXT=
%Cas is required to perform this test.%
%Cas is required%
%Cas is required % this test.%
%

Test search:

index=sample sourcetype=sample_vuln TEXT IN ("*Cas is required*")
| stats count by TEXT
| lookup sample_rules TEXT AS TEXT OUTPUT TEXT AS TEXT_Test, Priority

How can I match the data in raw with the data in lookup containing same field values with wildcards in above combinations.

I did edited the lookup's definition and configured Match Type option as WILDCARD(TEXT) and this is not helping.

Thanks in advance!!!

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If TEXT_updated has a value * then it must have come from the 4th row in your lookup.

I created this lookup file text.csv and made a lookup definition with WILDCARD(TEXT) , case insensitive and with no min/max matches.

bowesmana_0-1613190019296.png

This search

| makeresults 
| eval TEXT=split("Cas is required to perform this test.:perform:is required:Cas is required:Cas is required bla bla bla this test.",":")
| mvexpand TEXT
| lookup text TEXT OUTPUT TEXT as TEXT_found

then results in 

bowesmana_2-1613190390183.png

which is working as expected. As there is no max match, it will match all that apply and the * will match in all cases.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@mbasharat 

In Splunk, % is not a wildcard, so that will not work in the lookup definition - it would need a * 

However, if the data in the lookup always has the start and end %, you can do

| eval lookup_TEXT="%".TEXT."%"
| lookup sample_rules TEXT AS lookup_TEXT OUTPUT TEXT AS TEXT_Test, Priority

so effectively just adding on the % chars for the lookup. 

Alternatively you could clean the lookup if that's under your control, but from what you said, it sounds like you can create the lookup without %.

mbasharat
Contributor

Hi @ bowesmana,
To test your "*" suggestion, I created another job that used below eval to create another field where % is replaced by * and output to a new lookup table which I then used to create new lookup definition.

| eval TEXT_Updated = replace (TEXT, "%", "*")

So all the Test value below became like this:
*Cas is required to perform this test.*
*Cas is required*
*Cas is required * this test.*

Match Type as WILDCARD(TEXT_Updated)

Then I adjusted and re-ran below query

index=sample sourcetype=sample_vuln TEXT IN ("*Cas is required*")
| stats count by TEXT
| lookup sample_rules_updated TEXT_Updated AS TEXT OUTPUT TEXT_Updated, Priority

Result was:

TEXT=Cas is required to perform this test.
TEXT_Updated=*

At least a value (*) appeared this time. So it did not match. Feedback pls?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If TEXT_updated has a value * then it must have come from the 4th row in your lookup.

I created this lookup file text.csv and made a lookup definition with WILDCARD(TEXT) , case insensitive and with no min/max matches.

bowesmana_0-1613190019296.png

This search

| makeresults 
| eval TEXT=split("Cas is required to perform this test.:perform:is required:Cas is required:Cas is required bla bla bla this test.",":")
| mvexpand TEXT
| lookup text TEXT OUTPUT TEXT as TEXT_found

then results in 

bowesmana_2-1613190390183.png

which is working as expected. As there is no max match, it will match all that apply and the * will match in all cases.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...