Splunk Search

Issues with lookup matching on field values

mbasharat
Builder

Hi,

I have scan dataset. It has a field name TEXT. This field contains the data for test results. I am provided a data from SQL table which I am ingesting via DBConnect. This also contains TEXT field but along with Priorities to assign to. I am using data from SQL to create a saved search that outputs into a lookup.

My issue is that the data that is in the lookup has TEXT field with wildcard (%). I am not able to match what is in the raw data with what is in the lookup because of wildcard.

Sample:

In raw data:

TEXT= Cas is required to perform this test.

In lookup:

TEXT=
%Cas is required to perform this test.%
%Cas is required%
%Cas is required % this test.%
%

Test search:

index=sample sourcetype=sample_vuln TEXT IN ("*Cas is required*")
| stats count by TEXT
| lookup sample_rules TEXT AS TEXT OUTPUT TEXT AS TEXT_Test, Priority

How can I match the data in raw with the data in lookup containing same field values with wildcards in above combinations.

I did edited the lookup's definition and configured Match Type option as WILDCARD(TEXT) and this is not helping.

Thanks in advance!!!

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If TEXT_updated has a value * then it must have come from the 4th row in your lookup.

I created this lookup file text.csv and made a lookup definition with WILDCARD(TEXT) , case insensitive and with no min/max matches.

bowesmana_0-1613190019296.png

This search

| makeresults 
| eval TEXT=split("Cas is required to perform this test.:perform:is required:Cas is required:Cas is required bla bla bla this test.",":")
| mvexpand TEXT
| lookup text TEXT OUTPUT TEXT as TEXT_found

then results in 

bowesmana_2-1613190390183.png

which is working as expected. As there is no max match, it will match all that apply and the * will match in all cases.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@mbasharat 

In Splunk, % is not a wildcard, so that will not work in the lookup definition - it would need a * 

However, if the data in the lookup always has the start and end %, you can do

| eval lookup_TEXT="%".TEXT."%"
| lookup sample_rules TEXT AS lookup_TEXT OUTPUT TEXT AS TEXT_Test, Priority

so effectively just adding on the % chars for the lookup. 

Alternatively you could clean the lookup if that's under your control, but from what you said, it sounds like you can create the lookup without %.

mbasharat
Builder

Hi @ bowesmana,
To test your "*" suggestion, I created another job that used below eval to create another field where % is replaced by * and output to a new lookup table which I then used to create new lookup definition.

| eval TEXT_Updated = replace (TEXT, "%", "*")

So all the Test value below became like this:
*Cas is required to perform this test.*
*Cas is required*
*Cas is required * this test.*

Match Type as WILDCARD(TEXT_Updated)

Then I adjusted and re-ran below query

index=sample sourcetype=sample_vuln TEXT IN ("*Cas is required*")
| stats count by TEXT
| lookup sample_rules_updated TEXT_Updated AS TEXT OUTPUT TEXT_Updated, Priority

Result was:

TEXT=Cas is required to perform this test.
TEXT_Updated=*

At least a value (*) appeared this time. So it did not match. Feedback pls?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If TEXT_updated has a value * then it must have come from the 4th row in your lookup.

I created this lookup file text.csv and made a lookup definition with WILDCARD(TEXT) , case insensitive and with no min/max matches.

bowesmana_0-1613190019296.png

This search

| makeresults 
| eval TEXT=split("Cas is required to perform this test.:perform:is required:Cas is required:Cas is required bla bla bla this test.",":")
| mvexpand TEXT
| lookup text TEXT OUTPUT TEXT as TEXT_found

then results in 

bowesmana_2-1613190390183.png

which is working as expected. As there is no max match, it will match all that apply and the * will match in all cases.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...