Splunk Search

Is there any function works like group by grouping sets in Mysql?

krim
Explorer

is there any function works like group by grouping sets in Mysql?
So that I can get a value from each group and a total one

Labels (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The stats XXX by YYY will do aggregations to group by YYY and you can include more than one field to group by.

Can you explain a bit more exactly what you are trying to do with the data you have

0 Karma

krim
Explorer

krim_1-1664438858620.png

select

coalesce(class,"total") as class,

coalesce(name,"total") as name,

sum(num) as sum

from table a
group by grouping sets (class,name,(class,name))

In mysql I can get sum from each group and a total at the same time, from the left table to the right one. 

can I do the same in Splunk?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The answer is always YES with Splunk 😀 and often there is more than one way to achieve the same result.

Here is an example with your data setup (note that in your data example, your C2/C sum is shown as '3' in the right table, however, from the data in the left, it should be 4, right?

| makeresults
| eval _raw="Class,name,number
C1,A,1
C1,B,2
C2,C,1
C1,A,1
C1,B,2
C2,C,3"
| multikv forceheader=1 

| table Class,name,number

| stats sum(number) as sum by Class name
| addcoltotals labelfield="Class"
| appendpipe [
  | stats sum(sum) as sum by Class
]

so in this example, up to multikv is setting up the sample data from your left hand table, then:

the first stats sum... is calculating the totals by Class/name to give you 3 rows. Then addcoltotals is giving the total for those 3 rows. After that the appendpipe/stats is then calculating the totals for each class based on the values of those 3 rows.

Hope this helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...