Splunk Search

Is there a way to use wildcards or regex in lookup csv file?

wsw70
Communicator

Hello

Following up on a previous question about lookups I am looking for a way to either use or simulate wildcards in a .csv lookup file.

I have fields like

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise

which I would like to group under, say, Windows Clients via a lookup. I do not know in advance what the values will be, so ideally I would like to be able to say

Microsoft Windows 7*,Windows Client
Microsoft Windows 8*,Windows Client

which does not work as is (and was hinted so by aweitzman in his answer.

• is there a direct way to use regexp (or wildcards) in the lookup .csv file?

The alternate solution I can think about would be to use an external script for the lookup which would get the field value and output something, based on a logic/algorithm within the script (as opposed to a csv)

1 Solution

aweitzman
Motivator

You might be able to adapt something like the following:

search-goes-here | eval OSGroup=case(match(OSName,"Microsoft Windows 7(.*)"),"Windows Client", match(OSName,"Microsoft Windows 8(.*)"),"Windows Client",match(OSName,"Microsoft Windows Server(.*)"),"Windows Server")

The second argument to each match function is a regex, and the case statement lets you line up your matches with your output values.

While you can't put these in CSV files, you can turn the eval clause into a macro (add it to macros.conf) and refer to it wherever you need it.

View solution in original post

aweitzman
Motivator

You might be able to adapt something like the following:

search-goes-here | eval OSGroup=case(match(OSName,"Microsoft Windows 7(.*)"),"Windows Client", match(OSName,"Microsoft Windows 8(.*)"),"Windows Client",match(OSName,"Microsoft Windows Server(.*)"),"Windows Server")

The second argument to each match function is a regex, and the case statement lets you line up your matches with your output values.

While you can't put these in CSV files, you can turn the eval clause into a macro (add it to macros.conf) and refer to it wherever you need it.

aweitzman
Motivator

Hmmm... it looks like there's more to transforms.conf than I realized.

You can put wildcards in the CSV file, and then add the following term to the appropriate stanza in transforms.conf and it will work:

match_type = WILDCARD(OSName)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...