Splunk Search

Is there a way to pass field value from search to write kind of an event in the same search using eval command?

ak9092
Path Finder

Hey Splunkers,

I am not sure if this is possible or not but what i was trying to do is something like passing the values of search in the eval command to basically form a statement or  an event .

So for example consider below search returns multiple users first name, last name and country details.

Now with that field values what i am trying to do is create a eval statement like below-

index=foo source=user_detail

|table first_name  last_name country

|eval statement = My name is "$first_name $ $last_name$ and i come from $country$

|table statement

But this is not passing those field values to eval statement, so anyone knows if there is a way we can do this ?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ak9092,

let me understand: you want to concatenatethree fields value in only one, is it correct?

if this is your need, please try this:

| eval statement="My name is ".first_name." ".last_name." and i come from ".country
| table statement

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ak9092,

let me understand: you want to concatenatethree fields value in only one, is it correct?

if this is your need, please try this:

| eval statement="My name is ".first_name." ".last_name." and i come from ".country
| table statement

Ciao.

Giuseppe

ak9092
Path Finder

That's exactly what I needed, Thanks much @gcusello 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ak9092,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...