Splunk Search

Is there a way to make an appended search (or subsearch) respect the outer search's sample constraint?

dadkinson
Explorer
"XXX targeting service enabled" | stats count as ALL | appendcols [search "exception calling XXX targeting" | stats count as EXC] | eval ratio=ALL/EXC

Search works fine and generates correct ratio when no sampling is made, but if I want to sample, the outer search is fine but the inner runs through the complete event space.

no sample:
ALL: 12182689
EXC: 83363
ratio: 146.140242

1:1000 sample:
ALL: 12108
EXC: 83363
ratio: 0.145244

Easy enough to interpret but it'd be good to know if there's a way to enforce sampling throughout the complete search.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi dadkinson,

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the stats command is not a good candidate for event sampling. Please refer to the documentation here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Search/Retrieveasamplesetofevents#Commands_and_fun...

Thanks
Hunter

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hunters_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi dadkinson,

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the stats command is not a good candidate for event sampling. Please refer to the documentation here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Search/Retrieveasamplesetofevents#Commands_and_fun...

Thanks
Hunter

0 Karma

dadkinson
Explorer

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that note. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...