Splunk Search

Is there a way to enable event sampling in a search?

jankowsr
Path Finder

Is there any way to enable event sampling in a search?
I know this can be enabled in a GUI using dropdown list under the searchbar but I need that functionality in a search statement.
I have seen some suggestions like adding "| eval rand=random() % 100 | where rand=0 " to the search but it doesn't work really fast.
The ultimate goal is to use custom sample rate in searches behind the dashboard that takes time range as an input argument and it can be few minutes to few weeks so it has big impact on execution time. I would like to give user an option to specify sample rate to speed up the search and adjust calculated statistics accordingly.

nmaiorana
Explorer

Correct, this does not improve performance. Is Splunk planning on providing a true sampling function that is applied at the index level? With the amount of data being processed today, sampling is the only manageable way to produce metrics.

Thanks

0 Karma

jankowsr
Path Finder

Some solution that does not answer my question literally (it's not applying sample rate in a query) but completely suits my needs and I have to admit is completely obvious:

<fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="dropdown" token="sample_rate">
      <label>Sample Rate</label>
      <choice value="1">1:1</choice>
      <choice value="10">1:10</choice>
      <choice value="100">1:100</choice>
      <choice value="1000">1:1000</choice>
      <choice value="10000">1:10000</choice>
      <fieldForLabel>sample_rate_label</fieldForLabel>
      <fieldForValue>sample_rate_value</fieldForValue>
      <default>1</default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>

<query>index = netflow |lookups .... |eval bs=bytes * $sample_rate$ |stats sum(bs) by Country</query>
          <sampleRatio>$sample_rate$</sampleRatio>

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this (update eval samplingperc to appropriate integer value. value 5 means it'll select 5% of the total events.)

your base search | eval sno=1 | accum sno | eval sno=sno%[| gentimes start=-1|eval samplingperc=5 | eval search=ceil(100/samplingperc) | table search] | where sno=0
0 Karma

jankowsr
Path Finder

Even though it samples the base query I don't think it improves performance at all, actually in terms of performance I don't think it's anything better than the solution with random() function.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...