Splunk Search

Is there a method to capture & save specific data fields into a lookup from logs continuously uploaded to Splunk?

abhijitp
Path Finder

Hello Splunk Users,

This is the issue I am trying to solve in Splunk. I have logs that are continuously uploaded to Splunk (24/7) properly and there is one specific field of interest - Release Version which I need to capture & store in Splunk for every unit under test by Serial Number. I would like to incorporate a time stamp also when this Release Version was stored.

Example:

Serial Number 111 Release Version 1.0 TimeStamp 01/13/16 3pm

The Release Version will change on each of these units randomly in time but that will definitely be captured in the logs. So tomorrow if this unit has a different Release it should show like below.

Example:

Serial Number 111 Release Version 1.0 TimeStamp 01/13/16 3pm
 Serial Number 111 Release Version 1.1 TimeStamp 01/14/16 2pm

This way the history of the Release Version for each of the units is also captured. Please help me in getting this implemented in any way possible.

Please let me know if any additional information is required or there are any questions.

Thanks a lot,
Abhi

Currently, I have it working in a manual way in which I have created a csv file as a Lookup table and have a Lookup definition which gives me the Release Version for the Serial Number I am trying to display the data in the search. I need to update the CSV file whenever there is a change in the Release Version for the 100+ units which is very frequent.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This is how you can set that up. Assuming you've field extraction setup for Serial Number and Release Version. Lets say its Serial_Number and Release_Number. Also, assume your lookup file name is serial_to_release_lookup.csv which has the fields with same name

Your base search | stats count by Serial_Number Release_Number | append [| inputlookup serial_to_release_lookup.csv ] | | stats count by Serial_Number Release_Number | table  Serial_Number Release_Number| outputlookup serial_to_release_lookup.csv 

Saved this search (in the same app where the lookup is available. if lookup is global, then it doesn't matter) to run at a frequency of your choice with a definite timerange to avoid overlap between two execution. This will get the Serial_Number Release_Number mapping from logs for selected timerange, merge with existing values in the lookup and write it back to the lookup. This way the lookup will have all latest and historical values for Serial_Number Release_Number.

Updated answer

index=Firmware_QA sourcetype=SecureCRT_log FW_Version=*| dedup SNum sortby FW_Version | table SNum FW_Version _time | append [| inputlookup FW_Version_SecureCRT.csv] | stats values(_time) as _time by SNum,FW_Version | eval _time=mvindex(_time,-1) | outputlookup  FW_Version_SecureCRT.csv

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This is how you can set that up. Assuming you've field extraction setup for Serial Number and Release Version. Lets say its Serial_Number and Release_Number. Also, assume your lookup file name is serial_to_release_lookup.csv which has the fields with same name

Your base search | stats count by Serial_Number Release_Number | append [| inputlookup serial_to_release_lookup.csv ] | | stats count by Serial_Number Release_Number | table  Serial_Number Release_Number| outputlookup serial_to_release_lookup.csv 

Saved this search (in the same app where the lookup is available. if lookup is global, then it doesn't matter) to run at a frequency of your choice with a definite timerange to avoid overlap between two execution. This will get the Serial_Number Release_Number mapping from logs for selected timerange, merge with existing values in the lookup and write it back to the lookup. This way the lookup will have all latest and historical values for Serial_Number Release_Number.

Updated answer

index=Firmware_QA sourcetype=SecureCRT_log FW_Version=*| dedup SNum sortby FW_Version | table SNum FW_Version _time | append [| inputlookup FW_Version_SecureCRT.csv] | stats values(_time) as _time by SNum,FW_Version | eval _time=mvindex(_time,-1) | outputlookup  FW_Version_SecureCRT.csv

abhijitp
Path Finder

This worked perfectly the way I wanted. Thanks a lot somesoni2.

Abhi

0 Karma

abhijitp
Path Finder

Thanks somesoni2. I am trying out this recommendation in our environment.

I will circle back once it works or with some additional questions.

0 Karma

abhijitp
Path Finder

I am taking steps to have the above implemented in our environment. I have the field extractions in place and they work fine for SNum (Serial Number) and FW_Version (Firmware Version). I am using '_time' to keep track of the last known FW_Version seen in the log.

I am enclosing my search string

index=Firmware_QA sourcetype=SecureCRT_log | dedup SNum sortby FW_Version | table SNum FW_Version _time | append [outputlookup FW_Version_SecureCRT.csv]

I am using the 'dedup' to get only unique values in the table for SNum (Serial Number) which can be tied to FW_Version (Firmware Version).

I only want to append to the FW_Version_SecureCRT.csv only if - a) there is a valid FW_Version seen in the table (most of the times it is empty as the log does not have a FW_Version in the selected time range) b) if there is a value, confirm if this value is different from the one already in the csv file for that SNum

Thanks a lot for all the help.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you can generate a search to produce the results you want then you just have to add | outputlookup filename.csv to the end. Make it a scheduled search to make it automatic.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...