Splunk Search

Is there a delay in the Splunk API server 'seeing' events?

sonamchauhan
Engager

Is there a delay in the Splunk API server 'seeing' events that are already indexed?

I use the Splunk API to query logs for some testcases. I can submit a job to the API server (`POST https://<SERVER>:8089/services/search/jobs`). That works fine. But intermittently, the search job returns no results (GET https://<SERVER>:8089/services/search/jobs/<JOB_ID>/results returns a 204/No Content HTTP header, and no HTTP body) 

I checked if there was an indexing delay using the command below. Apparently there was not - the relevant logs were ingested and indexed well in time. It's just the Splunk API server that intermittently returns no results. 

<SPLUNK QUERY> | eval indextime=strftime(_indextime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

Any pointers to how I can dig into this further? I'm just a dev, not a Splunk admin, so guidelines on what I do next are much appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sonamchauhan
Engager

OK, I may have solved my own problem (caused by lack of knowledge of how Splunk API jobs work). 

Basically, I had too short a delay between creating the job (POST job) and (GET results). I've increased it from 3 to 10 seconds and it seems to be behaving better

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sonamchauhan
Engager

OK, I may have solved my own problem (caused by lack of knowledge of how Splunk API jobs work). 

Basically, I had too short a delay between creating the job (POST job) and (GET results). I've increased it from 3 to 10 seconds and it seems to be behaving better

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...