Splunk Search

Is there a Splunk search command opposite of Transpose, similar to tools like "crosstab" or "crosstable"?

steverimar
Explorer

I have a data set that looks like this:

Name, Month, Year, Data1, Data2, Data3, Data4, Data[x]
Steve, 2,2015, 1,1,1,0,0

Where the Month and Year field are essentially the start date and that date's value is Data1 and the following Data[x] fields are the next month sequentially.

Is there a Splunk command that will create the following for me. Other tools call this a "crosstab" or "crosstable". It's basically the opposite of a transpose.

Name,Month, Year, Value
Steve, 2, 2015, 1
Steve, 3, 2015, 1
Steve, 4, 2015, 1
Steve, 5, 2015, 0
Steve, 6, 2015, 0

Tags (3)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should do the trick

Your current search |  veal temp=Name."#".Month."#".Year | fields - Name Month Year | untable temp data Value | rex field=temp "(?<Name>.*)#(?<Month>.*)#(?<Year>.*)" | table Name Month Year Value

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

Nice! I learned some new tricks from your search string, thanks.

I like your answer better than mine in several ways; for one, it's more concise.

On my system, with the "test" event I described in my answer, the following search:

sourcetype="steverimar" | eval temp=Name."#".Month."#".Year | fields - Name Month Year | untable temp data Value | rex field=temp "(?<Name>.*)#(?<Month>.*)#(?<Year>.*)" | table Name Month Year Value

produces the following results (as displayed on the Statistics tab):

Name   Month      Year                                                     Value
Steve      2      2015                                                         1
Steve      2      2015                                                         2
Steve      2      2015                                                         3
Steve      2      2015                                                         4
Steve      2      2015                                                         5
Steve      2      2015                                            localhost:8088
Steve      2      2015                                                      test
Steve      2      2015                                                         1
Steve      2      2015        {"":_"",_"":_,_"":_,_"":_,_"":_,_"":_,_"":_,_"":_}
Steve      2      2015                                                  http:GXH
Steve      2      2015                                                steverimar
Steve      2      2015                                                      MYPC

(I wish this forum supported table formatting. Does it? I've tried GitHub-flavored Markdown table formatting: nope. And HTML table, tr, and td tags get "sanitized" away.)

Some nits:

• The results include not just the desired Data1, Data2... values, but also the values of the following fields: host, index, linecount, punct, source, sourcetype, splunk_server. (Or is this my problem; Splunk behavior that I can change on my system?)

• The Month column has the same value (2) in every row, whereas, according to the question, the value should increment by 1 after each row, starting from the value of the original Month field: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

@somesoni2,

The following search - your answer, slightly tweaked - produces the desired result (on my system):

sourcetype="steverimar" | eval temp=Name."#".Month."#".Year | fields temp Data* | untable temp data Value | rex field=temp "(?<Name>.*)#(?<Month>.*)#(?<Year>.*)" | eval Month=Month+tonumber(substr(data, 5))-1 | table Name Month Year Value

To exclude the unwanted rows, I replaced your original:

fields - Name Month Year

with:

fields temp Data*

To increment the Month values, I inserted:

eval Month=Month+tonumber(substr(data, 5))-1

One thing I liked about your answer is that it didn't rely on the field names being Data1, Data2...

But my tweaks rely on those names. Can you offer alternative tweaks to fix the nits without introducing this dependency?

0 Karma

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

I second the request from @somesoni2:

Would you be able to provide the actual field names from your current result?

The following solution is based on the specific field names that you cited: Data1, Data2 ...

This solution is deliberately designed to work for a variable number of Data fields.

I started with the following input data, in JSON format:

{
  "Name": "Steve",
  "Month": 2,
  "Year": 2015,
  "Data1": 1,
  "Data2": 2,
  "Data3": 3,
  "Data4": 4,
  "Data5": 5
}

For testing purposes, I deliberately specified unique values for each Data field.

The following search string (with line breaks inserted for readability) generates the output that you specified (I ingested the input data as sourcetype "steverimar"):

sourcetype=steverimar |
eval data_column_name="" |
foreach Data* [eval data_column_name=data_column_name + " <<FIELD>>"] |
makemv data_column_name |
mvexpand data_column_name |
eval Value=spath(_raw, data_column_name) |
eval month_offset=tonumber(substr(data_column_name, 5)) - 1 |
eval Month=Month+month_offset |
table Name, Month, Year, Value

Line-by-line explanation:

1. sourcetype=steverimar
    Get the matching events.

2. eval data_column_name=""
    Create a new field named data_column_name, and set its value to an empty string.

3. foreach...
    For each field whose name starts with "Data", append the name of that field to the value of the data_column_name field.

4. makemv...
    Convert data_column_name into a multivalue field.

5. mvexpand...
    Expand the values of data_column_name into separate events, one event for each value.

6. eval Value...
    Create a new field named Value, and set its value to the value of the field whose name matches the value of the data_column_name field. For example, if the value of the data_column_name field is "Data1", then set the value of the Value field to the value of the Data1 field ("1").

7. eval month_offset...
    Create a new field name month_offset, and set its value to the numeric suffix of the value of the data_column_name field, minus 1.

8. eval Month...
    Add the month_offset to the value of the Month field. (You could merge this step with the previous step. I kept them separate here for clarity.)

9. table...
    Transform the search results (for display in the Statistics tab), limited to the fields that we want in our final results.

The technique used in steps 2 to 6 is described in the Splunk docs topic "Build a chart of multiple data series".

Here's a screenshot of the results in the Statistics tab of Splunk Web (Splunk Enterprise 6.4):

alt text

It occurs to me that this solution might not be exactly what you need, because your actual column names might not be Data1, Data2, etc., but this solution matches the column names that you specified in your question.

I have not made the search string "smart" enough to increment the year if the month number is greater than 12. That would be easy to do.

0 Karma

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

I would welcome alternatives to:

eval Value=spath(_raw, data_column_name)

That is:

1. A field (in this example, data_column_name) contains the name of another field.
  2. You want to get the value of that other field, and use it to set the value of a third field (in this example, Value).
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Would you be able to provide the actual field names from your current result?

0 Karma

aalanisr26
Path Finder

|transpose

0 Karma

steverimar
Explorer

Transpose isn't what I'm looking for. I'm looking to cross table or do the opposite essentially.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...