Splunk Search

Is there SPL's worst practice?

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I've seen a lot of join, transaction and append SPLs.
Using timechart to show percentage of each time, it's hard. but everybody wants to do it.

I think you didn't have to use that SPL.

There is a best practice, but I don't know worst practice

Is there SPL's worst practice? or Can you tell me what's wrong with this way of using it?

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @to4kawa,
i didn't find a worst practice guide and I'm agree that it could be useful, especially for the new entries: e.g. all the people that worked with SQL and approach Splunk, start using join command in searches!
Anyway a worst practices is surely the opposite of a best practice, and I didn't find a structured guide neither to this, only some hints in a course that I followed at the beginning.
And in addition, i don't think that someone in Splunk can say that there's a worst practice: it isn't a good marketing approach!

In my experience, I try to avoid some features for performace reasons or symply to have a more readable code, these are the main worst practices I avoid:

• I try to avoid transaction and join commands every time I can and this is the main worst prectice!
  • I usually use append (with attention to the number of subsearch results) without problems.
  • I don't like automatic lookups so as not to lose the thread of logic of a search.
  • I don't like to use DB-Connect (I use it only if I'm forced!) for security reasons and I prefer to use an export of data on a file.

Then there's something else, but less important:

• i don't like to use Field Extractor, I prefer to create fields using regexes.
  • i don't like to have different different eval for each field transformation, I prefer to have one eval.
  • i don't like to leave the token's name in the time picker.
  • etc...

Ciao.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

lloydknight
Builder

hello @gcusello

I don't like automatic lookups so as not to lose the thread of logic of a search.

About this one worst practice, I understand that this facility has a performance impact but this is always being catered on the intro courses. What alternatives will you recommend should we avoid automatic lookups aside from using | inputlookup ?

Sorry for this question under a comment.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @lloydknight,
I don't use automatic lookups, I prefer to use in searches the lookup command.

my hint is only related to automatic lookups not to lookups.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'd say using automatic lookups is good practice.

• avoids duplication of SPL when the lookup is used in multiple searches
  • reduces the knowledge a searcher needs to have, they can just look at the events and see the output fields instead of having to know about the lookup file
  • usually no negative performance impact
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...