Splunk Search

Is the search concurrency and limits.conf too high?

skirven
Communicator

Hi!
I'm wrestling with performance on our Production Splunk installation and have been reading on Search Concurrency and limits.conf. I'm trying to reconcile my information to make sure I'm understanding what I'm looking at.

In my current limits.conf (which I contend is too high)
[search]

base_max_searches=100
max_searches_per_cpu=10
dispatch_dir_warning_size = 10000
max_rawsize_perchunk = 0

We have 15 SH's with 16 CPUs each. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is in the DMC, in the SH section, drop down to "Search Concurrency". and I'm seeing one or two servers with a higher number, and most with low or 0 in there. My thought is that with the numbers being so high, the system is trying to overtax the system with processes, and bogging down one or 2 SHs and never really leveraging the power of the 15 SH cluster.

We experience crashes of the system, or where the Search Head goes down at the API level, etc.

Would it be best to put the limits.conf to something like:

base_max_searches=6
max_searches_per_cpu=1
dispatch_dir_warning_size = 10000
max_rawsize_perchunk = 0
max_searches_perc = 50

On a 16 Core server, that may give us:

Max Total Searches of 28
Max Scheduled Searches of 14

I'm still learning and reading, so I'd like some input to validate the findings.
Thank you,
Stephen Kirven

adonio
Ultra Champion
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...