Splunk Search

Is the following calculation possible ?

luckyman80
Path Finder

I'm currently generating an AvgTime of processing cycles in a thread within a 5 min duration and writing these out to a log similar to this

[PrepareEvents, DispatchAll]

PrepareEvents samples Avg: 2757ns; Median: 1411ns; Max: 1533433ns; Total Events: 277138; Total Items: 314155

I want to perform the following calculation so i find out how many average ns i've spent processing cycles in the 5min duration

avgTime (multiply i cant add star here) Total items * 100 / (5 min in nanos

Can i do this in splunk ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @luckyman80

Does this do what you need: <your search> | rex "Avg:\s*(?<avg>\d+)ns;\s*Median:\s*(?<median>\d+)ns;\s*Max:\s*(?<max>\d+)ns;\s*Total Events:\s*(?<total_events>\d+);\s*Total Items:\s*(?<total_items>\d+)" | eval result = (avg * total_items) / 300000000000

All the best, Chris.

View solution in original post

luckyman80
Path Finder

actually i see the issue. it seems the percentage calculation is missing from your first example

Total items * 100

how do I make this a percentage ?

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

If you just need the results to be displayed as a percentage you can add a | eval result = result." %" to the search string.

This can even be used for rounding down if needed: |eval result = round(result,2)." %"

0 Karma

luckyman80
Path Finder

Thanks guys this looks good one last ask .. sorry for all the questions.. do you know how to turn the result into a percentage rather then raw value ?

0 Karma

luckyman80
Path Finder

Hi Chris, Thanks for your prompt response. How do I show the result from the calculation only ?

Thanks again

Paul

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

just add a |table result to the search Chris provided!

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Paul

<your search> | rex "Avg:\s*(?<avg>\d+)ns;\s*Median:\s*(?<median>\d+)ns;\s*Max:\s*(?<max>\d+)ns;\s*Total Events:\s*(?<total_events>\d+);\s*Total Items:\s*(?<total_items>\d+)" | eval result = (avg * total_items) / 300000000000 | table result

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @luckyman80

Does this do what you need: <your search> | rex "Avg:\s*(?<avg>\d+)ns;\s*Median:\s*(?<median>\d+)ns;\s*Max:\s*(?<max>\d+)ns;\s*Total Events:\s*(?<total_events>\d+);\s*Total Items:\s*(?<total_items>\d+)" | eval result = (avg * total_items) / 300000000000

All the best, Chris.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...