Splunk Search

Is splunk command line tool packaged separately

paragcisco
Explorer

Hi,

Is there splunk tool chain that simply sends splunk commands to the daemon (does not include daemon and web interface files/binaries.)

I am trying to reduce the footprint of splunk to the point where i can run all the splunk cli commands from any box on the network and these commands get sent to splunk daemon installed on a remote server.

Thanks!

Tags (3)

Leo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You may take a look at this app: Web Terminal for Splunk. With it you will be able to work with Splunk CLI on the remote server right through your browser. It will save you from installing the full version of Splunk just for this simple task.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just install Splunk:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Admin/AccessandusetheCLIonaremoteserver

:~ araitz$ /opt/splunk/splunk/bin/splunk help uri

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sure, I understand. On the other hand, storage is cheap and Splunk already has all the bits necesarry for remote management.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I think the poster was asking for if there was a way to install splunk with only the CLI functionality and nothing else, sort of as a standalone remote CLI, if I understood correctly.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Have you looked at what can be achieved with the REST API ?

It is not a standalone CLI as you inquired about , but in some ways may actually be better.
ie: you can't use the CLI remotely to restart , but there is a rest endpoint for this

The REST API also has language SDK's available in java,python,javascript.

paragcisco
Explorer

This is great! Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...