Splunk Search

Is it possible to display a table (similar to Excel's pivot table) with multiple values under one column?

spammenot66
Contributor

In Splunk, is there a way to format data that normally contains
user, month-year, hits, clicks to display multiple values per column as seen in the screen shot below.

for example, if my data is:

User    Month/Year  Hits    Clicks  
user1   2017-01   1     2   
user1   2017-02   3     4   
user1   2017-03   5     6   
user1   2017-04   7     8   
user2   2017-01   9     10  
user2   2017-02   11       12   
user2   2017-03   1     2   
user2   2017-04   4     6   

I would like to have it automatically display Total Clicks and Total Hits per month/year (as columns containing hits and clicks) for each user (with user being displayed per row)

alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Splunk's table visualization doesn't support multi headers, so this may be the best workaround

your current search giving fields User,"Month/Year","Hits","Clicks" 
| chart sum(Hits) as "Total Hits", sum(Clicks) as "Total Clicks" over User by "Month/Year"

Output columns will be like

User  , Total Hits: 2017-01  , Total Clicks: 2017-01 , Total Hits: 2017-02  , Total Clicks: 2017-02....

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Splunk's table visualization doesn't support multi headers, so this may be the best workaround

your current search giving fields User,"Month/Year","Hits","Clicks" 
| chart sum(Hits) as "Total Hits", sum(Clicks) as "Total Clicks" over User by "Month/Year"

Output columns will be like

User  , Total Hits: 2017-01  , Total Clicks: 2017-01 , Total Hits: 2017-02  , Total Clicks: 2017-02....
0 Karma

spammenot66
Contributor

Using this method is not like the Excel table which has the time period (month/year) neatly over the two fields (total hits and clicks) directly under it. The SPLUNK output is a bit cumbersome as seen in my example below where i try to output a full year. .
alt text

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...