Splunk Search

Is it possible to create a timechart from a time field in a CSV or lookup?

pkeller
Contributor

host,value,timestamp
a1,30,24-Oct-15 00:00
a1,10,24-Oct-15 01:00
a1,5,24-Oct-15 02:00
a2,3,24-Oct-15 00:00
a2,5,24-Oct-15 01:00

I'm wondering if it's possible using either inputcsv or inputlookup (if the csv is a lookup table) to do something like:

|inputcsv mycsv | search host=a1 | timechart span=1h avg(value) by host

(obviously, that doesn't work ... and I'm thinking that the only way to do this is to index the CSV with the TIME_FORMAT defined based on the 'timestamp' field.)

I probably shouldn't even be asking this to begin with 😉

1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi pkeller,

yes, you can use eval strptime() on the timestamp field to parse the value as timestamp, see docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.0/SearchReference/Timechart for more details. So try this:

|inputcsv mycsv | search host=a1 | eval _time=strptime(timestamp, "%d-%b-%y %H:%M")  | timechart span=1h avg(value) by host

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

sssignals
Path Finder

I had a similar problem.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi pkeller,

yes, you can use eval strptime() on the timestamp field to parse the value as timestamp, see docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.0/SearchReference/Timechart for more details. So try this:

|inputcsv mycsv | search host=a1 | eval _time=strptime(timestamp, "%d-%b-%y %H:%M")  | timechart span=1h avg(value) by host

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

stephanefotso
Motivator

True. Since the timechart command uses the _time field in your event data, that search query will not work, unless you have an _time field in your csv file.

Thanks

SGF
0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

oh yeah. definitely.

You'll use inputlookup to get csv files loaded. Here is a doc on doing that. However, you'll need to turn the timestamp into a timestamp with eval:

| eval _time = strptime(timestamp, "%d-%b-%y")

Then, you can go ahead and just do:

| timechart span=1h max(value) as max_value by host

So the total search:

| inputlookup data.csv
| eval _time = strptime(timestamp, "%d-%b-%y")
| timechart span=1h max(value) as max_value by host
0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

do slow today 🙂

0 Karma

pkeller
Contributor

You all are awesome.
The creation of _time via strptime worked perfectly

Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...