I have a dashboard with the following base search:
<search id="CreatedDossierCount"> <query>index="customer1-closecl-prod-long" application="closecl" transactionType="createDossier"</query> <earliest>$field1.earliest$</earliest> <latest>$field1.latest$</latest> </search>
and several panels based on this search, this simple one is working fine:
<panel> <title>Aantal aanvragen vandaag</title> <single> <title>Aantal aanvragen</title> <search base="CreatedDossierCount"> <query> stats count</query> </search> <option name="drilldown">none</option> <option name="trellis.enabled">0</option> <option name="trellis.size">medium</option> </single> </panel>
gives me a number 35 at the moment.
but a second one with a time chart is not:
<panel> <title>Aantal aanvragen per tijdseenheid</title> <table> <search base="CreatedDossierCount"> <query>timechart minspan=1d bins=12 dc(dossierId) as count | fillnull</query> </search> <option name="drilldown">none</option> <option name="link.inspectSearch.visible">1</option> <option name="link.openSearch.visible">1</option> </table> </panel>
it gives me this result:
if I then open in search I get this search from it:
index="customer1-closecl-prod-long" application="closecl" transactionType="createDossier" | timechart minspan=1d bins=12 dc(dossierId) as count | fillnull
as expected. Which gives me this result:
I even tried creating a dashboard panel from that search again, which gives me the same proper result, but if I move the first part of the search to the basesearch again I get the zeroes back.
This leads me to believe it is the combination of the base search and timechart. But I could be wrong.
I suspect you are running into this issue:
In post-process searches, reference fields that are also referenced in the base search. If you are not referencing a particular field in the base search, do not reference it in the post-process search. Fields without a reference in the base search appear null in a post-process search. The post-process search returns no results in this case.
So you could try adding
| fields * to the base search in order to ensure the field is preserved. But the same documentation also mentions other pitfalls of using post-processing on a search that involves no transforming commands. Given that your base search does not use any transforming commands, I think you may not get any benefit from using that as a base search anyway, and you may be best served by just using the whole query in the place where you've been trying to use a post-processed search.