Splunk Search

Is it possible to combine multiple rows in a lookup table?

AlexeySh
Communicator

Hello,

I use a dbxquery to import asset’s tags which includes information about asset’s category, business unit and priority. The initial result looks like this:

asset   | tag
asset_1 | server
asset_1 | marketing
asset_1 | medium
asset_2 | network_equipment
asset_2 | infrastructure
asset_2 | low

Using eval command I split it that information to appropriate columns, so the result looks like that:

asset   | category          | bunit          | priority   |
asset_1 | server            |                |            |
asset_1 |                   | marketing      |            |
asset_1 |                   |                | medium     |
asset_2 | network_equipment |                |            |
asset_2 |                   | infrastructure |            |
asset_2 |                   |                | low        |

The result is saved to a lookup table. Unfortunately, I can’t use that format as Data Enrichment source for Splunk Enterprise Security because it will automatically dedup asset’s names.

So I’d like to know if it’s possible to combine the information from different rows from the previous table to a format like this:

asset   | category          | bunit          | priority   |
asset_1 | server            | marketing   | medium     |
asset_2 | network_equipment | infrastructure | low        |

Thanks for the help!

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I'm wondering if this couldn't be solved by a smarter dbxquery, that puts it in the right format immediately, but you can anyway fix this, by adding the following to your search:

| eventstats values(category) AS category values(bunit) AS bunit values(priority) AS priority by asset
| dedup asset

Edit: Or as @p_gurav suggests a simple stats instead of eventstats, which saves you the dedup step. Not sure why I didn't think of that 😛

View solution in original post

p_gurav
Champion

Can you try after your search query:

| stats values(category) values(bunit) values(priority) by asset 

OR 

| stats list(category) list(bunit) list(priority) by asset 

AlexeySh
Communicator

Exactly!
Thank you so much.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I'm wondering if this couldn't be solved by a smarter dbxquery, that puts it in the right format immediately, but you can anyway fix this, by adding the following to your search:

| eventstats values(category) AS category values(bunit) AS bunit values(priority) AS priority by asset
| dedup asset

Edit: Or as @p_gurav suggests a simple stats instead of eventstats, which saves you the dedup step. Not sure why I didn't think of that 😛

AlexeySh
Communicator

Thanks for your help @Frank!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...