Splunk Search

Is it possible ot get a unique user listing with sourcetype="who"?

splunk4steve

I am trying to get a list of people who have logged in to our system in the last 24 hours. The unix app runs a script that generates this every 10 minutes or so. This is fine however I only need to see the information once...not the same list of users over and over again.

Is it possible to do a unique search with that sourcetype?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are several ways of making results unique. You could do a stats/chart/timechart by user, or run them over values(user), or use dedup, maybe more.

0 Karma

splunk4steve

Close! I think this might work:

index="os" sourcetype="who" host="*.domain.com" | dedup host

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So... this?

some search over 24 hours | table user | dedup
0 Karma

splunk4steve

I am basically trying to get a listing of all users who have logged in to a particular server over a period of 24 hours. I don't need to see that 'martin' logged in at 8:00am over and over again...I only need to see it once.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What result are you trying to achieve from what data?

0 Karma

splunk4steve

I've tried using dedup. The problem is that the initial time/date stamp that Splunk adds makes it unique. Is there some way to filter that out?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...