Splunk Search

Is cartesian product not possible in splunk using join?

asingla
Communicator

I am using a join search command. What I noticed is that join only takes one row from the sub search result for the joining field though my subsearch has more than one row on the joining field.
In short it's not doing the Cartesian product as done by joins in SQL.

e.g. search result for the outer search is

host

host1

host2

and subsearch return the following

host instance status

host1, 1, ON

host1, 2, OFF

host2, 1, OFF

the join on host returns

host1,1,ON (or host1,2,OFF)

host2,1,OFF

Is there anyway to get the Cartesian product in splunk?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need to set the max parameter on the join command to something higher than the default of 1: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Join

Also, I would suggest, depending what you're doing, that you'd be much better off using either a subsearch or a lookup if possible, as they are much more efficiently implemented in Splunk than the join command.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need to set the max parameter on the join command to something higher than the default of 1: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Join

Also, I would suggest, depending what you're doing, that you'd be much better off using either a subsearch or a lookup if possible, as they are much more efficiently implemented in Splunk than the join command.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...