Splunk Search

Interactive Field Extraction (IFX) (Regex)

kailun92
Communicator

Original message <d:Message>(22/7)17:53 Accident on AYE (towards Tuas) after Jurong Port Rd Exit. Avoid lanes 2 and 3.</d:Message>

My XML at here Xml Data. How to extract all the exits only (e.g. Jurong Port Rd Exit) ?

I needed all the accident extracted by generated regex expression Interactive Field Extraction (IFX) feature

I am currently using Generated pattern (regex) of (?i)Area>(?P[^<]+).
It extracted this:

alt text

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

paddygriffin
Path Finder

you can modify the generated regex in Manager>Fields>Field Extractions, or better to make a new one using the existing one as a starting point [don't forget to also change the field name in the updated regex].
If I'm interpreting your goal correctly [extract exit name], one way would be to provide more context pattern in the regex, so for example it looks like each exit name is always preceded by before | till | at | beyond [maybe others] and ends with Exit. and you want to extract all characters between those two patterns.

View solution in original post

bmacias84
Champion

probably little more that you wanted. I cant see the XML since its blocked for me.

<d:Message>\(\d+/\d+\)\d\d:\d\d\s(?<eventtype>[^\s]+)\son\s(?<location>[^\(]+)\s\((?<direction>[^\)]+)\)\safter\s(?<area>[^\.]+)

If your useing IFX might looks something like this.

<d:Message>\(\d+/\d+\)\d\d:\d\d\s(?<field1>[^\s]+)\son\s(?<field2>[^\(]+)\s\((?<field3>[^\)]+)\)\safter\s(?<field4>[^\.]+)

The return fields:

• eventtype=Accident
  • location=Aye
  • direction=toward Tuas
  • area=Jurong Port Rd Exit

I've tested it with the sample give above.

Hope this helps or gets you started.

paddygriffin
Path Finder

you can modify the generated regex in Manager>Fields>Field Extractions, or better to make a new one using the existing one as a starting point [don't forget to also change the field name in the updated regex].
If I'm interpreting your goal correctly [extract exit name], one way would be to provide more context pattern in the regex, so for example it looks like each exit name is always preceded by before | till | at | beyond [maybe others] and ends with Exit. and you want to extract all characters between those two patterns.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...