Splunk Search

Inputlookup append=true vs append [|inputlookup ] behavior difference

elliotproebstel
Champion

I saw a previous question dealing with this, but that question never got an accepted answer, and I think it was sufficiently complex that this distillation may highlight the issue more directly. I observed unexpected behavior when testing approaches using | inputlookup append=true ... vs | append [| inputlookup ... ]. Here are a series of screenshots documenting what I found.

I created two small test csv files: first_file.csv and second_file.csv. They each contain three fields: _time, row, and file_source. I tested this code first:

| inputlookup first_file.csv
| eval flag="this is from the first file" 
| append 
 [| inputlookup second_file.csv ]

This displayed what I expected:
alt text

Then I tested this code snippet:

| inputlookup first_file.csv
| inputlookup append=true second_file.csv

Somehow, this causes the flag field to disappear, as you can see here:

alt text

Is this expected? I couldn't find anything in the docs to explain the difference in behavior. If it is expected, is there a flag or attribute I can set when using the | inputlookup append=true approach that would preserve fields?

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a bug/feature of the search optimizer, in this particular case it's doing projection elimination - removing evals it thinks are unnecessary. To confirm, check the job inspector for optimizedSearch that only contains two inputlookups, but no eval.

The field will magically reappear if it's used later in the search, alternatively add | table * if you just want to see it now... or | noop search_optimization=false, or | eval foo = flag will also make it appear.
This is still happening in 7.0.2, make sure to file a support case to check if this is intentional behaviour or a bug.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/Search/Built-inoptimization#Projection_elimination

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a bug/feature of the search optimizer, in this particular case it's doing projection elimination - removing evals it thinks are unnecessary. To confirm, check the job inspector for optimizedSearch that only contains two inputlookups, but no eval.

The field will magically reappear if it's used later in the search, alternatively add | table * if you just want to see it now... or | noop search_optimization=false, or | eval foo = flag will also make it appear.
This is still happening in 7.0.2, make sure to file a support case to check if this is intentional behaviour or a bug.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/Search/Built-inoptimization#Projection_elimination

elliotproebstel
Champion

You're right! Thank you. It was causing me some confusion while trying to troubleshoot a more complex use case, but I can understand why it would be a "feature" here.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What version of Splunk are you testing it in? I don't see this behavior (flag field getting removed) in 6.2 and 6.3 instance that I can check right now. Also, what do you get when you run this

| gentimes start=-1
0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

I'm running Splunk 6.6.2.
Here's the output of that command:

endhuman    starttime   starthuman  endtime flag
Wed Feb 21 23:59:59 2018    1519189200  Wed Feb 21 00:00:00 2018    1519275599  this is from the first file
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Nothing is getting added from yoru second_file.csv lookup?

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Also, for what it's worth, our ops team upgraded everything from 6.6.2 to 6.6.5 last night, and I'm still seeing the same behavior.

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Sorry, I was in a rush out the door last night and accidentally ran your suggested tests with outputlookup instead of inputlookup, hence the nonsense. Fully caffeinated and not in a rush, here's the real results.

CODE:

| gentimes start=-1 

OUTPUT:

endtime endhuman    starthuman  starttime   _time   file_source row
1519361999  Thu Feb 22 23:59:59 2018    Thu Feb 22 00:00:00 2018    1519275600           
                2018-02-23 11:45:44 second  1
                2018-02-23 11:45:44 second  2
                2018-02-23 11:45:44 second  3

Easier to see/parse:
https://imgur.com/82CmsKh

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...