Splunk Search

Improve Search Performance

mwdbhyat
Builder

Hi,

Ive constructed the below 5 searches to populate a dashboard, once they go onto our live systems they are going to be going through TB of data.. I need to make these searches as efficient as possible using using tstats, rest endpoints, summaries, scheduled reports and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what to use and where in my searches or improve the syntax? (search noob) So far timechart is being used for all of them as they are in single value visual form with a trend arrow per month.

Total Number of Systems - 30 Days
index=test earliest=-2mon@mon | timechart span=1mon dc(host) as Hosts

Total Volume Indexed - 30 Days
index=_internal source=license_usage.log type=Usage pool= idx=test earliest=-2mon@mon | rename idx as Index | timechart span=1mon sum(b) as Bytes

Total Number of Events - 30 Days
index=test earliest=-2mon@mon| timechart span=1mon count

Total Number of Sourcetypes - 30 Days
index=test earliest=-2mon@mon| timechart span=1mon dc(sourcetype) as sourcetypes

Total Volume Per Day
index=_internal source=license_usage.log type=Usage pool= idx=test earliest=-2d@d | rename idx as Index | timechart span=1d sum(b) as Bytes

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

For every query, other than ones which are showing license_usage, you can use tstats. For license usage queries, I would sugggest to go for summary indexing/data model with accelaration.

| tstats dc(host) as Hosts WHERE index=test earliest=-2mon@mon by _time span=1mon

Create a summary index with below search to run daily and then use the result of that summary index in your dashboard

index=_internal source=license_usage.log type=Usage pool=* idx=test earliest=-1d@d latest=@d | timechart span=1mon sum(b) as Bytes 

| tstats count WHERE index=test earliest=-2mon@mon by _time span=1mon

| tstats dc(sourcetype) as sourcetypes WHERE index=test earliest=-2mon@mon by _time span=1mon 

Total Volume Per Day
Use the summary index created for "Total Volume Indexed - 30 Days"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

For every query, other than ones which are showing license_usage, you can use tstats. For license usage queries, I would sugggest to go for summary indexing/data model with accelaration.

| tstats dc(host) as Hosts WHERE index=test earliest=-2mon@mon by _time span=1mon

Create a summary index with below search to run daily and then use the result of that summary index in your dashboard

index=_internal source=license_usage.log type=Usage pool=* idx=test earliest=-1d@d latest=@d | timechart span=1mon sum(b) as Bytes 

| tstats count WHERE index=test earliest=-2mon@mon by _time span=1mon

| tstats dc(sourcetype) as sourcetypes WHERE index=test earliest=-2mon@mon by _time span=1mon 

Total Volume Per Day
Use the summary index created for "Total Volume Indexed - 30 Days"

0 Karma

mwdbhyat
Builder

Thanks for this!! Is there any way I can keep my trend indicator arrow? They are not showing anymore now that the search has changed..They are enabled etc.

0 Karma

mwdbhyat
Builder

Quick question - shouldnt, index=_internal source=license_usage.log type=Usage pool=* idx=test earliest=-1d@d latest=@d | timechart span=1mon sum(b) as Bytes have earliest and latest set to @mon rather than @day?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...