Splunk Search

If you create a new index from Splunk Web on a search head, is it created on all your indexers?

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

If you create a new index from web console of search head - does this created on all your indexers?
Or you need to log in to each indexer to create these new indexes.

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi nikhilmehra79,

No, this will not create the index on the indexer, only on your search head.

What I did @one costumer, was to create a script that could be called with an argument like index=foo and this scripted looped through all splunk_server and search heads and created over REST API calls the index on all Splunk servers.

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi nikhilmehra79,

No, this will not create the index on the indexer, only on your search head.

What I did @one costumer, was to create a script that could be called with an argument like index=foo and this scripted looped through all splunk_server and search heads and created over REST API calls the index on all Splunk servers.

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Creating different roles for different type of access is recommended. You can then set the default index to be searched for each role.

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

That totally makes sense - qq, when you index data based on source type events will go to individual data streams and not main - but lets say i have a user who want to see events from Server XYZ and he is L1 person and dont know much on indexing - from his point of view when he will search on search panel with device XYZ he will not get any data back since default index is main on search right?
Or do i need to assign roles based on what index they can search on ? i dont expect him to write a query like Hostname=XYZ index="App"

0 Karma

mic1024
Path Finder

I usually create new indexes for new 'data areas' - and then split it further by sourcetype.

so for instance for systems metrics i'd create index system, and then tag linux sourced data with sourcetype=linux, windows would be sourcetype=windows etc.
for app data i'd create separate index (ie. index=appdata) etc etc.

3 reasons for it:
1. don't always need to search through all the data
2. data access permissions are set on per index basis
3. data retention times are set on per index basis.

hope that helps.

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Thanks that make sense , so basically you need to create new index on all indexers?

Also does it make sense to use Main index for everything - i was thinking to split the event streams in various indexes right from start - any suggestions?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...