Splunk Search

IPLocation: how to use with both src-ip and dest-ip?

echojacques
Builder

Hello,

I know how to use the iplocation command to obtain geo ip information for a single field, for example:

sourcetype="IPS" | iplocation src_ip | table src_ip, City, Country

Is there a way to return geo ip information for 2 fields (in this case src-ip and dest-ip)? I tried this but it doesn't work:

sourcetype="IPS" | iplocation src_ip, dest_ip | table src_ip, City, Country, dest_ip, City, Country

How would I return geo ip info for both src-ip and dest-ip in a single search?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

echojacques
Builder

After some testing I figured it out, the search below works:

sourcetype="IPS" | iplocation src_ip | rename Country as CC1 | iplocation dest_ip | rename Country as CC2 | table src_ip CC1 dest_ip CC2

CC1 is the geo for the src-ip and CC2 is the geo for the dest-ip.

View solution in original post

Gawker
Path Finder

You can also accomplish the same thing by doing this:

• sourcetype="IPS" | iplocation prefix=CC1_ src_ip | iplocation prefix=CC2_ dest_ip | table src_ip CC1_Country dest_ip CC2_Country

To access other data iplocation and that isn't part of the default values (ex: timezone) , you would add the allfields=true parameter to each iplocation command:

• sourcetype="IPS" | iplocation prefix=CC1_ allfields=true src_ip | iplocation prefix=CC2_ allfields=true dest_ip | table src_ip CC1_Country CC1_Timezone dest_ip CC2_Country CC2_Timezone

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/SearchReference/Iplocation

echojacques
Builder

After some testing I figured it out, the search below works:

sourcetype="IPS" | iplocation src_ip | rename Country as CC1 | iplocation dest_ip | rename Country as CC2 | table src_ip CC1 dest_ip CC2

CC1 is the geo for the src-ip and CC2 is the geo for the dest-ip.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...