Splunk Search

IIS log comment removal not removing

lspringer
Path Finder

Splunk is not removing commented out fields beginning with a "#" in indexed IIS logs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I've added the following to my configs:

props.conf:

[iis-2]
pulldown_type = true
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 32
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False
CHECK_FOR_HEADER = False
TZ = GMT
REPORT-iisw3cfields = iisw3cfields
TRANSFORMS-removecomments = removecomments

transforms.conf:

[removecomments]
REGEX = ^\#.*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Sample log comments:

#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0
#Version: 1.0
#Date: 2011-11-08 00:00:43
#Fields: date time s-computername s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query cs-username c-ip 
0 Karma
1 Solution

rturk
Builder

In your transforms.conf, you're escaping the hash (#) as though it were a special character (which is isn't - see HERE).

Here's a stanza from a transforms.conf that I used that seems to do what you're looking for:

[hash_comment]
REGEX           = ^#
DEST_KEY        = queue
FORMAT          = nullQueue

Let me know how you go 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Are you sure that your data is being indexed as iis-2? Since the iis format can vary, Splunk often assigns a different number to each iis input. So you could have iis-2 iis-3 etc. One way to address this is to make your transformation apply to all iis-based sourcetypes by changing your stanza in props.conf to

[iis*]

For more info on why the variations appear: IIS sourcetype variations

0 Karma

rturk
Builder

In your transforms.conf, you're escaping the hash (#) as though it were a special character (which is isn't - see HERE).

Here's a stanza from a transforms.conf that I used that seems to do what you're looking for:

[hash_comment]
REGEX           = ^#
DEST_KEY        = queue
FORMAT          = nullQueue

Let me know how you go 🙂

0 Karma

lspringer
Path Finder

I changed the regex to above and did the following to remove the existing commented fields:
sourcetype="iis-2" # | delete

They haven't come back since, thanks!

0 Karma

lspringer
Path Finder

I'm using the universal forwarder on a remote machine.The props.conf and transforms.conf are in the /opt/splunk/etc/system/local directory on the indexer.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Your props.conf and transforms.conf look good - thanks for the completeness of your post. But I have a few more questions: Where did you put the props.conf and the transforms.conf? On the indexer? On the forwarder? What kind of forwarder are you using?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...