Splunk Search

I would like to run a regex search to find two words no more the six words apart

BrandSentiment
Explorer

Is this string anywhere near where I need to be to find word1 and word2 no more than 6 words apart in the field interaction.content:

interaction.content word1\W+(?:\w+\W+){1,6}?word2

Any help much appreciated

Tags (2)
1 Solution

BrandSentiment
Explorer

Hi Martin, Thanks for offering your help. By researching and playing with http://www.regexr.com/ I have found my answer and by working more with Regexr tool I have found answers to a lot more questions.

This is my solution:

index="main" interaction.type=twitter | regex interaction.content="((word1)\W+(?:\w+\W+){1,8}?(word2)W)" 

View solution in original post

thebarryk
Engager

The following regex may be more than you need, but has a few extra facets:

1. Matches the two words in either order.
  2. Matches the words when they are adjacent.
  3. Uses word boundary anchors for matches at the beginning or end of the field.

index="main" interaction.type=twitter | regex interaction.content="(?:\bword1\b\W(?:\w+\W+){0,6}?\bword2\b|\bword2\b\W(?:\w+\W+){0,6}?\bword1\b)"
    Hope it's useful.

Barry

BrandSentiment
Explorer

Hi Martin, Thanks for offering your help. By researching and playing with http://www.regexr.com/ I have found my answer and by working more with Regexr tool I have found answers to a lot more questions.

This is my solution:

index="main" interaction.type=twitter | regex interaction.content="((word1)\W+(?:\w+\W+){1,8}?(word2)W)" 

BrandSentiment
Explorer

Correction - for some reason the backslash did't show above:

index="barclays" interaction.type=twitter | regex interaction.content="((word1)\W+(?:\w+\W+){1,8}?(word2)\W)"

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How is "word" defined in your context?

Got Sample data?

What's not working in your own solution?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...