Splunk Search

I've configured inputs.conf for a Splunk forwarder on Windows, but why do I get no data searching for that host?

kemmlli
Explorer

Hi,

I'm evaluating Splunk for the first time. I installed a forwarder on a Windows server and I configured the inputs.conf (/etc/system/local) like this:

[default]
host = name1

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

[monitor://C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server\Logs\]
host = name1
index=FTP_logs_2
source="C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server\Logs\"
disabled = 0
whitelist=.log$
#ignoreOlderThan = 7d
#blacklist=C:\logs\onelog.log

The goal is to monitor FileZilla logs.
Index has been created on indexer.

When I'm trying to search data by typing name1 on the Splunk search bar, I get no data. name1 is also not on the host tab in Data Summary button. I need first to search the index in order to see data and search with a random word for finding what I want.

Can anyone help me ?
Thanks,

0 Karma
1 Solution

davebrooking
Contributor

By default Splunk will only search the main index. You can add extra default indexes to different roles from Settings > Access controls > Roles select the appropriate role, and in the section "Indexes searched by default" add the index FTP_logs_2.

However, the search manual states for efficient searches you should be more specific, adding indexes in this way will search through more data

Dave

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...