Splunk Search

I'm having trouble with the "over" syntax. How to use it in this situation?

Hppjet
Path Finder
index="Plt15_tms3" ShiftName="1" EmployeeLoggedInLastName="*" MachineNumber<26  MachineState="*" | stats sum(ElapsedMachineSecondsInOrderPath) as ElapsedMachineSecondsInOrderPath by EmployeeLoggedInLastName | eval "Login Hours"=ElapsedMachineSecondsInOrderPath/3600 | chart  sum("Login Hours") **over** MachineState by EmployeeLoggedInLastName

updated - marked as code

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
Legend

Ah. You lost the values for MachineState in your stats command. Any field not present in the stats command is GONE after it.

I'm assuming you have many more employees then you have machine states, so you may want to remember "over rowname by columnname")

index="Plt15_tms3" ShiftName="1" EmployeeLoggedInLastName="*" MachineNumber<26  MachineState="*" 
| stats sum(ElapsedMachineSecondsInOrderPath) as ElapsedSeconds by EmployeeLoggedInLastName MachineState
| eval "Login Hours"=round(ElapsedSeconds/3600,2) 
| chart  sum("Login Hours") over EmployeeLoggedInLastName by MachineState

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Ah. You lost the values for MachineState in your stats command. Any field not present in the stats command is GONE after it.

I'm assuming you have many more employees then you have machine states, so you may want to remember "over rowname by columnname")

index="Plt15_tms3" ShiftName="1" EmployeeLoggedInLastName="*" MachineNumber<26  MachineState="*" 
| stats sum(ElapsedMachineSecondsInOrderPath) as ElapsedSeconds by EmployeeLoggedInLastName MachineState
| eval "Login Hours"=round(ElapsedSeconds/3600,2) 
| chart  sum("Login Hours") over EmployeeLoggedInLastName by MachineState
0 Karma

Hppjet
Path Finder

Thank you for this solution and lesson. I didn't know it would be lost after stats.

DalJeanis
Legend

@hppjet - yes, stats is a transforming command that summarizes all the records into a few new summary records. If you want to do something stats-like, but just want to add the calculated fields to every event, then use eventstats. If you want to do something that will process the events in order, like calculating an ongoing cumulative value across time, then use streamstats or accum. They each have their place.

0 Karma

Hppjet
Path Finder

I was hoping to create a column chart that has totals for "Login Hours" that is separated by machine state(running, stopped) that is broken out by Employee last name.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

@hppjet - can you post a quick mockup of your desired output?

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hmm what is your desired output? can you be a bit more specific?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...