Splunk Search

I defined a field extraction, but why is the field not getting listed under interesting fields on the search results page?

SplunkNoviceUse
Explorer

Hi,

I am facing issues with the use of extracted fields.
I intend to create a timechart with the extracted values. I have created new field on the field extraction page and gave the right permissions. Still the field is not showing up in the list of interesting fields on the search page. Is there any additional step that I am missing?

I do not have access to props.conf file.
Please suggest the way forward. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

0 Karma

BhanujaReddy

I am facing same problem, I am able to see the field in settings> fields > extracted fields. but not under interested fields, I have selected the correct sourcetype but still am unable to see the extracted field under interested fields.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The extracted field is relative to the sourcetype that you chose when extracting that field. So make sure you have the correct sourcetype then flip your search mode in smart or verbose mode then you should see it. You can also select "all Fields" and find your new field and check the box and it will show in your 'Selected Fields' section

sundareshr
Legend

Check you search mode. Interesting fields do not display in Fast mode. Should be Smart or Verbose. Interesting fields show up only if more than 20% of the events have that field. Try using it in a command. Something like stats count by field

altink
Builder

have this same problem with Splunk 8.2.

If I search as:
index=index_name | stats count by field_name
I do have the result by field_name

If I search as:
index=index_name

I cannot find anywhere the field_name on the fields list. Even when searching in Verbose Mode and when going to "Select Fields" and choosing "All Fields" option -  still field_name is nowhere to be found.

I have noticed this problem previously in Splunk 6 and 7 too

0 Karma

SplunkNoviceUse
Explorer

Thanks so much Sundareshr!
This info was quite handy.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...