Splunk Search

How to write a script to correlate data in a file with an event in Splunk?

amir_thales
Path Finder

Hello,

I want to know if it is possible to do a script which read a file and correlate the data in this file with an event in Splunk.

For example, when I put a USB key in Linux, I have this log:

Jan 31 11:02:51 PFSplunkCentOS5 hald: mounted /dev/sdb1 on behalf of uid 0

and I want to correlate UID 0 with the file /etc/passwd and say uid 0 = root or other user and put root in the event in Splunk like metadata.

Cordially

amir

0 Karma
1 Solution

davpx
Communicator

You don't need a script for this. Take a look at lookups . Write a lookup that has a uid > username correlation and you can run it automatically if needed.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

amir_thales
Path Finder

my problem is solved thank you

0 Karma

amir_thales
Path Finder

Hello davpx,

How can read the /etc/passwd file to correlate the uid with the user because the "lookup" function uses only KML, KMZ and CSV and I want to use the "/etc/passwd" which isn't a KML, KMZ or CSV file.

Thank you
amir

0 Karma

davpx
Communicator

You don't need a script for this. Take a look at lookups . Write a lookup that has a uid > username correlation and you can run it automatically if needed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...