Splunk Search

How to write Timechart for search with binary value result?

mrf23
Explorer

Hi I have a field, mode, which returns either returns data or is None (mode_true, mode_false). I'm trying to search and aggregate the sum [over time] of both outcomes over separately then plot both on a timechart (as a stacked bar or similar, where the data is separated categorically). I've tried a couple query types below with no luck

1.)

index=mode_qa module=mode_producer_logs "telemetry_event" 
| extract pairdelim="\"{,}" kvdelim=":" 
| multisearch [search mode!=None | eval type="mode_true"] [search mode=None | eval type="mode_false"]
| timechart span=60m count(mode) by type

2.)

index=mode_qa module=mode_producer_logs "telemetry event" 
| eval modeBool = if(mode!=None, "mode_true", "mode_false")
| timechart count by modeBool span=30m

Both display a visual with only one data source (not binary, e.g. mode_true vs mode_false). Any ideas? New to Splunk

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you do

You are comparing field mode to the field None, which I guess does not exist, so ALL your events will be mode_false. Quote the "None"

| eval modeBool = if(mode!="None", "mode_true", "mode_false")

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please explain what you mean by "no luck".  How do the results returned not meet expectations?

The second query looks like it should work, but perhaps there's an error we can see without knowing the data.

You can debug the query by running it one pipe at a time, verifying the results are expected before adding the next pipe.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mrf23
Explorer

eval-if in #2. Not sure about the multisearch

0 Karma

mrf23
Explorer

Hi @richgalloway Right, I put the resulting behavior at the bottom of my post -- "Both display a visual with only one data source (not binary, e.g. mode_true vs mode_false). "

I'm trying to display the binary outcomes as a categorical visual like a stacked bar, but the only result I see is a single bar for a given time point.

I believe the problem is with the eval-if statement - any idea on correct syntax for expected behavior?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you do

You are comparing field mode to the field None, which I guess does not exist, so ALL your events will be mode_false. Quote the "None"

| eval modeBool = if(mode!="None", "mode_true", "mode_false")

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...