Splunk Search

How to work out Percentage above an average threshold

luckyman80
Path Finder

Hi Experts,

As part of an new initiative looking at SLO metrics. I have created the below query which nicely counts the amount of errors per day over a 30 day window and also provides a nice average level on the same graph using an overlay for easy viewing.

earliest=-30d@d index=fx ERROR sourcetype=mysourcetype source="mysource.log"
| rex field=source "temp(?<instance>.*?)\/"
| stats count by _time instance
| timechart span=1d max(count) by instance
| appendcols [search earliest=-30d@d index=fx ERROR sourcetype=mysourcetype source="mysource.log"
| rex field=source "temp(?<instance>.*?)\/"
| stats count by _time instance
| stats avg(count) AS 30d_average]|filldown 30d_average

I wanted to somehow work out the percentage of good results (anything that is lower then the average value) and the percentage of bad results (above the average) and show in a stats table for each instance.

Help needed! thanks in advance

Theo

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't know your detailed data but this search seems plain wrong.

You usually don't do stats by _time. Unless you have a very well-aligned input data, it will just give you pointless results.

Besides, there's not much point in using appendcols to re-run most of the original search just to add different aggregation. You're wasting one search. It's more convenient to do a eventstats.

The percentage would be quite easily "statsable" by firstly doing eventstats to add a general count of events, then doing a conditional count(eval(count>your_average)) and then dividing those two. But of course it's a completely different value than those parameters you calculate here so it wouldn't "mix" well in one chart or graph.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't know your detailed data but this search seems plain wrong.

You usually don't do stats by _time. Unless you have a very well-aligned input data, it will just give you pointless results.

Besides, there's not much point in using appendcols to re-run most of the original search just to add different aggregation. You're wasting one search. It's more convenient to do a eventstats.

The percentage would be quite easily "statsable" by firstly doing eventstats to add a general count of events, then doing a conditional count(eval(count>your_average)) and then dividing those two. But of course it's a completely different value than those parameters you calculate here so it wouldn't "mix" well in one chart or graph.

luckyman80
Path Finder

Hi Rick,

The current timechart(as shown in the example) seems to work fine I.E shows the Daily ERROR counts per day and then when looking across 30 days of data I can see which counts breach the 30 avg threshold.

That all seems to work fine. The problem Im having is I want to work what percentage of good events (per day bucket) meaning what error counts are below the average threshold to bad event days over the threshold into a seperate table (not on the same timechart)  The timechart I posted is just for visual purposes to show any days of interest.

Theo

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok. It's your data aftet all 😉

All I'm saying is that you usually don't do stats by time because it would generate separate stat value for every single value of time value. That's why you do timecharts because that command bins and aggregates data automaticaly on time spans.

But if your data is precisely aligned, that might work - it's just that you very rarely see such case.

The rest - I already addressed - do the eventstats, then sum it up with stats (or you can filter the events first to get only the matching subset and then do the counting if you don't want to do eval-based stats).

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please clarify the requirements.  The current query produces 30 events (1 per day) with an unknown number of fields (instances) in each event.  Is the percentage of good/bad counts supposed to be for each day or a total over all 30 days?  If the latter, what is the expected visualization?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

luckyman80
Path Finder

Hi Richard,

So the current visualization looks as attached.  What i'm trying to do is work out the percentage of bad event counts per day  (the ones in the image that are above the threshold line ) and then generate an overall percentage over a 30 day time duration vs good event counts (below the average) into a stats table showing "30 day duration Bad event count (overall bucket per day)  = x% vs good event counts over 30 day duration" Capture.PNG

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...