Splunk Search

How to use timechart command to calculate the average of a field?

chengyu
Path Finder

My raw data:

Feb  7 18:18:23 impact 1 Gbps/137.54 Kpps, importance 2...
Feb  7 18:18:23 impact 3600 Mbps/137.54 Kpps, importance 2...

I want use timechart search command calculate avg(1Gbps & 3600Mbps) by week or month. Now i use rex to extract field 1G and 3600Mbps values but the field name is same. i wish to change 3600Mbps to Gbps then run timechart avg(field). What should i do? Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

chengyu
Path Finder

Hi Sir, data is 1 Gbps/137.54 Kpps or 3600 Mbps/137.54 Kpps, i want calculate 1Gbps & 3600 Mbps avg value, not Kpps value. So i can use rex extract field capture 1 and 3600 value and call field name "bandwidth", but 3600 need transfer to gigabyte, finally use splunk command "timechart sapn=1mon avg(bandwidth)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

chengyu
Path Finder

Hi Sir, data is 1 Gbps/137.54 Kpps or 3600 Mbps/137.54 Kpps, i want calculate 1Gbps & 3600 Mbps avg value, not Kpps value. So i can use rex extract field capture 1 and 3600 value and call field name "bandwidth", but 3600 need transfer to gigabyte, finally use splunk command "timechart sapn=1mon avg(bandwidth)"

0 Karma

mpreddy
Communicator
If you were able to extract field  bandwidth 1 and 3600 then extract or split another field called type  Gbps and Mbps and use If condition type = Gbps  then bandwidth/1000 else bandwidth and then use timechart for average.
0 Karma

chengyu
Path Finder

myserarch ... |table bandwidth,_time | rex field=bandwidth "^(?P\d+.\d+)\s(?P\w+)$" | eval Unit=case(Unit="Gbps",1024,true(),1) | eval InGbps=(Value*Unit)/1024 |eval InGbps=round(InGbps,2) | timechart span=1d max(InGbps) as MaxGbps avg(InGbps) as AvgGbps

extract fields :
1.04 Gbps
384.05 Mbps
5.01 Gbps

0 Karma

mpreddy
Communicator

try like this:

base query |rex "impact\s(?<bandwidth>.*)/(?<mbps>.\d+.\d+)"  |timechart span=1mon avg(mbps) as avg by bandwidth
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can you share your current search that you've so far?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...