Splunk Search

How to use the splunk ldapsearch app to list all users' memberships with in a group?

Glasses2
Communicator

I am having no luck listing users' memberships with in a group, using ldapsearch.

I am not an AD LDAP expert, either.

Lets say I have a domain called Foo, and an OU (group) called Bar, with 10 users.  Each user has additional memberships to other groups.

I am looking to list the membership attr for each user.

I am starting with 

| ldapsearch domain=default search="(&(objectClass=user))"... but I don't know what to add.

Thank you 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Glasses2
Communicator

Thank you, useful information re: app forum.

However, despite a lack of decent documented examples, I stumbled across a way...

The users were in an OU group.

This worked 

| ldapsearch basedn="OU=foobar accounts,DC=foo,DC=bar" search="(objectClass=user)" | table displayName dn memberOf

But unfortunately attrs=displayName,memberOf did not

| ldapsearch basedn="OU=foobar accounts,DC=foo,DC=bar" search="(objectClass=user)" attrs=displayName,memberOf | table displayName dn memberOf

I could not get both attrs, only the first in the list.  Strange

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is an app and add-on forum All Apps and Add-ons.  That's a better place to ask this question.  To construct a useful search, you need to know how AD implements group membership. (In plain LDAP, group membership is often implemented with the attribute "MemberOf", but not always.)

0 Karma

Glasses2
Communicator

Thank you, useful information re: app forum.

However, despite a lack of decent documented examples, I stumbled across a way...

The users were in an OU group.

This worked 

| ldapsearch basedn="OU=foobar accounts,DC=foo,DC=bar" search="(objectClass=user)" | table displayName dn memberOf

But unfortunately attrs=displayName,memberOf did not

| ldapsearch basedn="OU=foobar accounts,DC=foo,DC=bar" search="(objectClass=user)" attrs=displayName,memberOf | table displayName dn memberOf

I could not get both attrs, only the first in the list.  Strange

0 Karma

Glasses2
Communicator

Apparently wrapping attrs=" thing, thing2, thing3" in quotes works.

0 Karma

Glasses2
Communicator

one other thing, if you are not admin, you need your role to include: 

list_settings

list_storage_passwords

or you may get a permission denied error.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...