Splunk Search

How to use stats as a filtered self join?

pm771
Communicator

I have groups of events that have the same GroupID field.

For events matching given criteria I need to find another event with predefined EventName from the same group and then table together certain fields from both events .

Using join it will be something like this:

index=common_index sourcetype=common_sourcetype EventName=First somethingElse=whatever
| join GroupID [search index=common_index sourcetype=common_sourcetype EventName=Second | table GoupId keyField]
| table EventName keyField 

What would be the same type of query with stats?

I do not know how to do something like earliest(EventName==value)

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try

index=common_index sourcetype=common_sourcetype (EventName=First somethingElse=whatever) OR (EventName=Second)
| eval EventNameToUse=if(EventName="First",EventName,null())
| stats dc(EventName) as reportedOnvalues(EventNameToUse) as EventName values(keyField) as keyField by GroupId
| where reportedOn=2
 | table EventName keyField  
0 Karma

nrohbock
Explorer

Since all of your sources are already indexed, I think it should be as simple as:

index=common_index sourcetype=common_sourcetype ((EventName=First somethingElse=whatever) or EventName=Second)
| stats values(keyField) as keyField by GroupID, EventName
| fields - GroupID
| mvexpand keyField

You may also want to dedup the table, but technically, I think this should give you the same result.

0 Karma

pm771
Communicator

Thanks for the reply.

My task is to select certain events and then match them (and only them) to another event from the same group.

Then I need EvenName from the first search and keyField from the second.

Your code is pulling 2nd event regardless if the 1st satisfied the criteria.

0 Karma

nrohbock
Explorer

Sorry for the false lead. I hope this is more helpfull.

index=common_index sourcetype=common_sourcetype
| streamstats count as order by GroupID
| eval myEventName=if(order=1 and somethingElse=whatever, EventName, null()), myKeyField=if(order=2, keyField, null())
| stats values(myEventName) as EventName, values(myKeyField) as keyField by GroupID
| search EventName=* keyField=*

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...