Splunk Search

How to use regex lookahead to capture the information from the 4th stanza of my log?

mikecal
Explorer

I'm trying to use the following search to capture information regarding an identification code:

index=calabrio MSG_VOICERECORDING_NOTIFY:SRC_NOTIFY_NO_PACKETS
| rex field=_raw "Filename(?<phoneid>)(?=[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]).*(?=-)"
| stats count by phoneid

Here an example of the log entry:

2023-01-04 15:08:09.001175 DEBUG [0xce4] VoiceRecorderUpdateTask.cpp[28] VoiceRecorderUpdateTask::runTask: MSG_VOICERECORDING_NOTIFY:SRC_NOTIFY_NO_PACKETS : Filename(4281-1672873674000-4125-SEP12345678-98962688)

I want to capture the information from the 4th stanza.  I'm trying to use lookahead to target the three alpha characters.  This works as expected in regex101.com but Splunk is not producing any results.  I've read in several articles that lookahead doesn't work as you would expect it to but I haven't been able to piece together a search that will work.  Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As you've read, Splunk does not do well with lookahead (or lookbehind).  Fortunately, lookahead rarely is necessary.  Try this regex to get the three letters in the Filename field.

Filename\([\d-]+(?<phoneid>[A-Z]{3})
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

mikecal
Explorer

Thanks @richgalloway and @gcusello for your quick replies!  Ultimately, Rich's search served my needs best.  One funny oddity, I needed to use the dash after the stanza as a delimiter and lookahead worked just fine in that capacity.  

| rex field=_raw "Filename\([\d-]+(?<phoneid>[A-Z]{3}.*(?=-))"
| stats count by phoneid

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mikecal,

i you want to extract the full phoneid, you can use :

| rex "Filename\((?<phoneid>[^\)]+)"
| stats count by phoneid

that you can test at https://regex101.com/r/o6MmDk/1

if you want only the last numbers, you can use

| rex "Filename\(\w+-\w+-\w+-\w+-(?<IBAN>[^\)]+)"
| stats count by phoneid

that you can test at https://regex101.com/r/o6MmDk/2 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As you've read, Splunk does not do well with lookahead (or lookbehind).  Fortunately, lookahead rarely is necessary.  Try this regex to get the three letters in the Filename field.

Filename\([\d-]+(?<phoneid>[A-Z]{3})
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...