Splunk Search

How to use "AND" and "OR" operations in a text panel search?

JangYounKyung

I made a text panel in a Splunk dashboard.
I want to use "AND" and "OR" operations in the text panel for searching contents,
but the "AND" and "OR" operation results are different with my expectation.

If I input "picture", it searches the "*picture*" words.

...| search positive_sentence="*picture*" | ...

If I input "picture OR pic", it searches the "*picture OR pic*" , not "*picture*" and "*pic*".
I know that it's possible with "AND" and "OR" operations if the panel type is multichoice.

How can I solve the this problem?
I want to use text type panel.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The design of the text box filter/input is to just replace the value entered in the text box to the place where it's token is referenced. So, if your search is ... | search positive_sentence="*$yourtextboxtoken$*" , then, if you enter picture, the search will be become ... | search positive_sentence="*picture*" and for picture OR pic, it will be ... | search positive_sentence="*picture OR pic*".

If you're looking for a custom interpretation/transformation of text box values, you'd need to write your SPL accordingly. E.g. if you want picture OR pic to be translated as ... | search positive_sentence="*picture*" OR positive_sentence="*pic*", then something like this would work

your base search | search [| gentimes start=-1 | eval search="positive_sentence=\"*".replace("$yourtextboxtoken$","(\s+(OR|AND)\s+)","*\"\1positive_sentence=\"*")."*\"" | table search]

jpolcari
Communicator

A simple solution would be to just type this into the search box: picture* OR *pic

Other than that, you would have to use a multiselect

0 Karma

sheamus69
Communicator

Would a multifield selection be a better option?

Depending on what you're trying to do, you can automatically extract the fields from your data into the multifield list...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...