Splunk Search

How to use output of a 1st query as input in second query.

satyajit7
Explorer

I have a 1st query by taking input from the dashboard and where I got id as a result from that. And I want to use that id fetch from the 1st query , in my 2nd query as input and show the required fileds which is available in 2nd query on dashboard.

N.B:- I know join but facing issue in how to pass that id as a variable to the 2nd query

Actually it need to be work on a dashboard.

Can someone please help.

@niketn 

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can try below with only one search, subsearch output will be used as a filter for your second query. You can play with the token places according to your searches.

... | search [ search $token_account_id$ earliest=$token_time.earliest$ latest=$token_time.latest$| rex "txnid".{5}(?<TXNID>.*?(?=\\\))"|dedup TXNID | fields TXNID ] | rex "custid".{5}(?<custid>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "custname".{5}(?<custname>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "pdate".{5}(?<pdate>.*?(?=\\\))"|table custid, custname, pdate| rename custid as CustomerID, custname as Customer Name, pdate as Purchase Date 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can try below with only one search, subsearch output will be used as a filter for your second query. You can play with the token places according to your searches.

... | search [ search $token_account_id$ earliest=$token_time.earliest$ latest=$token_time.latest$| rex "txnid".{5}(?<TXNID>.*?(?=\\\))"|dedup TXNID | fields TXNID ] | rex "custid".{5}(?<custid>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "custname".{5}(?<custname>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "pdate".{5}(?<pdate>.*?(?=\\\))"|table custid, custname, pdate| rename custid as CustomerID, custname as Customer Name, pdate as Purchase Date 

satyajit7
Explorer

@scelikok thanks so much. I just put join instead of | search and it worked magically.

My final query will be like 

... | Join [ search $token_account_id$ earliest=$token_time.earliest$ latest=$token_time.latest$| rex "txnid".{5}(?<TXNID>.*?(?=\\\))"|dedup TXNID | fields TXNID ] | rex "custid".{5}(?<custid>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "custname".{5}(?<custname>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "pdate".{5}(?<pdate>.*?(?=\\\))"|table custid, custname, pdate| rename custid as CustomerID, custname as Customer Name, pdate as Purchase Date 

0 Karma

satyajit7
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. I tried this subsearch approach but seems it didn't give me any results

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @satyajit7,

You can use 1nd query as a subsearch or use map command. If you can share your sample queries, we can help to build the query.

0 Karma

satyajit7
Explorer

Thanks @scelikok  for the reply.

Mu sample query

1st query

...| rex "txnid".{5}(?<TXNID>.*?(?=\\\))"|dedup TXNID 

2nd query 

... Need to pass that TXNID here | rex "custid".{5}(?<custid>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "custname".{5}(?<custname>.*?(?=\\\))"| rex "pdate".{5}(?<pdate>.*?(?=\\\))"|table custid, custname, pdate| rename custid as CustomerID, custname as Customer Name, pdate as Purchase Date 

NB:-

I will use this in the dashboard. In the dashboard I have one input text and a date filed which user need to provide. User will provide account id which need to be on 1st query based on the account and time stamo it will fetch the txnid and using that txnid need to fetch and show in the dashboard.

0 Karma

satyajit7
Explorer

@Burch can you please help me. Still I'm facing issue to use the output of the 1st query in my 2nd query.

And my 2nd query is complex one as it contains 3 join query but all 3 required txn id as input also

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi, this is Burch. It looks like there is an accepted answer and others are already actively working with you on this. Is that not the case? If not, then perhaps un-accept the answer and let's make it clear that all are able to help you rather than specific people.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...