Splunk Search

How to use geostats with a lookup containing Zip Codes, Population, and Latitude/Longitude to aggregate number of events against Population?

chowspecial

Hey guys,

So I have events that contain a lat / long. Here's an example of an event from the access log

/search?queryText=somesearch&lat=37.812889&lon=-122.432615

I have a lookup table with Zip Codes, population, and Lat Longs of the center of the zip code
Here's an example of a row in the csv that was uploaded

94109, 55984, 37.7955808980854, -122.422218643082

I'd like to do a geostats where I can aggregate number of events against Population. Aka "in this general blob we are seeing this many events per estimated population."

I'm not entirely sure where to start and if this is possible?

FYI, I'm going down the path of getting zip codes into those events to do a straight up lookup, but for now, I'd like to see what I can do.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Assuming your events contain zip codes your search might look something like this:

<event search> | stats <some aggregator> by zipcode | lookup ... | geostats ...

(I have elided the lookup and geostats commands, as they are totally dependent on what your tables look like)

By default geostats will group locations into buckets. You can change the resolution of with the binspanlong and binspanlat options to geostats. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/SearchReference/Geostats. There are also a few examples already in splunk answers.

I you're using Splunk 6.3 you can make choropleths which are even better. You'll need a KMZ (a zipped KML) file with the boundaries of the area you're interested in, rather than a straight lat/long table. See the geom command http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1/SearchReference/Geom

0 Karma

chowspecial

Yes, as I mentioned, my events DON'T have zip codes. Working on the plausibility of getting that in. Unfortunately not using 6.3 yet but I may push for that.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Actually you did not mention that. All you said was that your events contain lat/long. You will need to be clearer about the event data. For example, do the lat/log fields in your events correspond directly to lat/long entries in your lookup table? Also, what do you mean by Population? Do the events contain population stats, or do you mean zip code when you say population.

It will be easier to assist if you post
A) Some sample events
B) A sample table of results

0 Karma

chowspecial

Ok. I have updated my question. I am going down the path of working with devs to see if getting zip code in the events is doable so that I can just do a straight lookup, but that will likely add unnecessary geo-lookups against our quota with our providers.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

I see now. Yeah its going to be tricky as there is no way to define a zip code for each lat/long pair in your data. You could try bucketing but it wont be accurate, as each zip code is not a simple a radius. You're going to need a different lookup table that contains the entire lat long area for each zip code.

You should be able to find some data online (Try http://www.opengeocode.org/download.php)

0 Karma

chowspecial

Cool. I may loosen my constraint to an entire CBSA for now as the fuzziness of not being a radius isn't as impactful. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...