Splunk Search

How to use field values with greater than and less than to do KV lookups?

md
Explorer

I have a KV store based lookup for Port Address Translation. 

Given the first 3 octets of a public facing IP and a port, I need to lookup the first 3 octets of the private address from this lookup.

The lookup contains the first 3 octets of the public IP, the first 3 octets of the private IP, the maximum port for that private IP and the minimum port for that private subnet range. 

Starting with a public_address of 123.45.67.8, port 1042 something like this works:

| inputlookup PAT_translation_table where public_address="123.45.67" lower_port<="1042" upper_port>="1042"

It returns the field private_address with a value like 10.1.2 and then I append on the .8 to get the internal IP.

I need to be able to do this with multiple results from other searches, however. Something like this:

<initial search results that include src_ip and src_port>
| rex field=src_ip "(?<first3octets>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(?<lastoctet>\.\d{1,3})
| inputlookup PAT_translation_table append=true where 'public_address'=first3octets  'lower_port'<=src_port  'upper_port'>=src_port

In this example, inputlookup returns nothing. If I just use the lookup command, I can't use greater than or less than so it returns all the values as an mvfield for private_address, an mvfield for upper_port, and a separate mvfield for lower_port. How would I query that?!

Do any of you have any suggestions how I can do this?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

md
Explorer

We ended up using having to use lookup instead of inputlookup.

This is what we came up with:

base search
| call_to_macro(ip_field, port_field)

The macro adds a field named translated_IP to the event with either the PAT translated IP or the original IP if it's not a PAT IP. For the macro:

eval translated_IP=$ip_field$, port=$port_field$
| rex field=translated_IP "(?<first3octets>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(?<lastoctet>\.\d{1,3})"
```This lookup returns all port ranges for that group of the first 3 octets of the address as 3 separate multivalue fields.```
| lookup PAT_Address_Translation Public_Address AS first3octets OUTPUT Private_Address, Lower_Port, Upper_Port
```mvzip ties together the values of 2 multivalue fields in the order they appear. We have to nest them since we have 3 multivalue fields.```
| eval port_range=mvzip(mvzip(Private_Address,Lower_Port),Upper_Port)
```In cases where the input IP is not in the PAT IP range, we need to make sure port_range is not null or mvexpand errors out.```
| eval port_range=coalesce(port_range, "")

```mvexpand turns each possible value into it's own row.```

| mvexpand port_range

```we then separate the fields and use a where command to eliminate the values that the port_field isn't within the range of.```
| rex field=port_range "(?<Private_Address>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}),(?<Lower_Port>\d+),(?<Upper_Port>\d+)"
| where (Lower_Port<=port AND Upper_Port>=port) OR port_range=""
| eval internal_IP=Private_Address.lastoctet
```Finally, we make sure translated_IP is either the translated result or the original IP if it's not in the PAT table```
| eval translated_IP=coalesce(internal_IP,translated_IP)
```Clean up of added fields```
| fields - Lower_Port,Upper_Port,Private_Address,first3octets,lastoctet,internal_IP,port_range

View solution in original post

0 Karma

md
Explorer

We ended up using having to use lookup instead of inputlookup.

This is what we came up with:

base search
| call_to_macro(ip_field, port_field)

The macro adds a field named translated_IP to the event with either the PAT translated IP or the original IP if it's not a PAT IP. For the macro:

eval translated_IP=$ip_field$, port=$port_field$
| rex field=translated_IP "(?<first3octets>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(?<lastoctet>\.\d{1,3})"
```This lookup returns all port ranges for that group of the first 3 octets of the address as 3 separate multivalue fields.```
| lookup PAT_Address_Translation Public_Address AS first3octets OUTPUT Private_Address, Lower_Port, Upper_Port
```mvzip ties together the values of 2 multivalue fields in the order they appear. We have to nest them since we have 3 multivalue fields.```
| eval port_range=mvzip(mvzip(Private_Address,Lower_Port),Upper_Port)
```In cases where the input IP is not in the PAT IP range, we need to make sure port_range is not null or mvexpand errors out.```
| eval port_range=coalesce(port_range, "")

```mvexpand turns each possible value into it's own row.```

| mvexpand port_range

```we then separate the fields and use a where command to eliminate the values that the port_field isn't within the range of.```
| rex field=port_range "(?<Private_Address>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}),(?<Lower_Port>\d+),(?<Upper_Port>\d+)"
| where (Lower_Port<=port AND Upper_Port>=port) OR port_range=""
| eval internal_IP=Private_Address.lastoctet
```Finally, we make sure translated_IP is either the translated result or the original IP if it's not in the PAT table```
| eval translated_IP=coalesce(internal_IP,translated_IP)
```Clean up of added fields```
| fields - Lower_Port,Upper_Port,Private_Address,first3octets,lastoctet,internal_IP,port_range

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's a somewhat kludgy example of how you can do the comparison LT and GT for port range on the MV fields you get from the lookup - most of this is just setup for an example to show MV fields for IPS/ranges.

You need the last 4 lines - note that this will allow for 10 port ranges per local IP in the foreach command

| makeresults
| eval last_octet=(random() % 253 + 1)
| eval src_ip=(random() % 253 + 1).".".(random() % 253 + 1).".".(random() % 253 + 1).".".last_octet
| eval src_port=random() % 32768 + 512
| eval n=mvrange(1,11,1) 
| mvexpand n
| eval local_ip="10.1.".n.".".last_octet
| eval low_port=random() % (2048 * n) + 512
| eval high_port=random() % (4096 * n) + low_port
| stats list(local_ip) as local_ip list(low_port) as low_port list(high_port) as high_port by src_ip src_port
| eval ix=-1
| foreach 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [ eval l=tonumber(mvindex(low_port, <<FIELD>>)), h=tonumber(mvindex(high_port, <<FIELD>>)), ix=if(ix=-1 AND src_port >= l AND src_port <= h, <<FIELD>>, ix) ]
| eval local_addr=mvindex(local_ip, ix)
| fields - l h ix

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...