Splunk Search

How to use eval for basic search terms (NOT fields)?

link22
Explorer

So I want to get the stats count of two search terms in a search that looks like this:
index=myIndex "searchTermA" OR "searchTermB" (these searches being strings to find certain applications under the index and they have no fields to search for them by nor are they similar enough for field extraction to work [individually field extracting these also proves to have a lot of issues as well]).

and what I wish I could do is this:

index=myIndex "searchTermA" OR "searchTermB"  | stats (or chart/timechart) count("searchTermA") count("searchTermB")

to get the data I want.

However, I am aware this is not possible. Is there some way to use eval to give these search strings a name and use them for count?

I also cannot go into the .conf files and edit them.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can something like this

index=myIndex "searchTermA" OR "searchTermB" | stats  count(eval(searchmatch("searchTermA"))) as CountA count(eval(searchmatch("searchTermB"))) as CountB

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can something like this

index=myIndex "searchTermA" OR "searchTermB" | stats  count(eval(searchmatch("searchTermA"))) as CountA count(eval(searchmatch("searchTermB"))) as CountB
0 Karma

brendanmatthews
Explorer

You can run something like ... |eval count_field = case(searchmatch("searchtermA"), "A_class",searchmatch("searchtermB"),"B_class") | stats (or chart/timechart) count by count_field. It should return the counts of both types of events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...