Splunk Search

How to use earliest twice in one search (subsearch)?

thisissplunk
Builder

I want to do something like this:

index=* sourcetype=files (earliest="1459455814.788302" filename=hello.exe) OR (earliest="1459458924.655748" filename=test.exe) 

According to this, it should work: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/153336/is-it-possible-to-use-earliest-twice-in-one-search.html . However, it is not working. It only returns results that match whatever section in parenthesis comes first in the query. I can run both of those things in parenthesis separately and get the correct results, but when I run them together I only get one result.

Anyone know what's going on?

If you're wondering why I don't just run them by themselves, it's because I'm actually forming these queries from a subsearch and it will have hundreds of these parentheses.

0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

I seem to have found the issue myself. You can only use "earliest" more than once in a query like this if you only specify one index. I was using a *.

0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

Hmm ok. I'll post specifics later when I have time. For me, the fix is definitely supplying only one index at a time, but I am using a subsearch and sticking indexes inside of each subsearch result as well.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Okay... Your provided search in the question does not contain any subsearches. So this really needs to changed and please provide as much of information as you can, like the complete search string you used 😉

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Sorry thisissplunk,

But this is not correct as you can see with this run everywhere search:

index=_internal OR index=_audit (sourcetype=splunkd_access earliest=-14d@d) OR (sourcetype=audit* earliest=-30d@d) earliest=-30d@d latest=now | timechart span=d count by sourcetype

Which will perfectly search both indexes and returns events from index=_audit over the last 30 days and from index=_internal only for the last 14 days.

Sadly I cannot upload an image into a comment, but it works. There must be something else wrong in your case.

Please mark this as not to be an answer, because this will mislead others - thanks.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

So, what is the time range you're running the search ?

0 Karma

thisissplunk
Builder

I'm running it over All Time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...