Splunk Search

How to use conditional comparison of two field values from the same event to populate a third field

Explorer

Hi all

I am trying to use the eval case function to populate a new field based on the values of 2 existing fields that meet certain string value matching.

For example:
| eval ValueY=case(Status == StringValue_A) AND (Priority == StringValue_B)), "StringValue_C")
| table Status Priority ValueY

So as you can see the above is not working and was wondering if anyone has tried to do something similar so that the exact combination of StringValueA and StringValue_B can be used to define if StringValue_C is used to populate a third column on a table.

Hope it makes sense
Many thanks

1 Solution

Explorer

I found that the following worked.

| eval ValueY=case(
match(Status, "StringValue_A") AND Priority == "StringValue_B", "StringValue_C")

thanks anyway

View solution in original post

Explorer

I found that the following worked.

| eval ValueY=case(
match(Status, "StringValue_A") AND Priority == "StringValue_B", "StringValue_C")

thanks anyway

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi

Try like

| makeresults 
| eval col1="one",col2="two" 
| eval col3=if(col1=="one" AND col2=="two","matched","unmatched")

OR

| makeresults 
| eval col1="one",col2="two" 
| eval col3=case(col1=="one" AND col2=="two","matched",1=1,"unmatched")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...