Splunk Search

How to use a columns value as a key to a different column for my results id like to output?

zsaf
Explorer

I have two columns per event I am trying to use. Well call these col1 and UknownRandomColumnName (urcn for short) . The key of urcn changes from event to event, but the value of col1 will always be the key of urcn. How can I use the value of col1 as a key for the data id like to output from urcn in a search. Example data for my events may look like:

=======================
|    col       |    urcn1    |    urcn2    |
======================
|    urcn1 |    Value    |                     |
---------------------------------------
|    urcn2 |                    |     Value    |
--------------------------------------

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure I get what you want but it seems you might need xyseries.

zsaf
Explorer

Hey,  my desired output I guess would be a table with the values from the ucrn columns. 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I said - I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but I assume that you have events in the form of

"name: field1name, value: fieldvalue"
"name: field2name, value: fieldvalue"

And you want to get:

field1name: fieldvalue
field2name: fieldvalue

And so on.

Check untable and xyseries (I always confuse those commands) - one of those should do what you need.

zsaf
Explorer

Here would be an example sample of my events.  The type value contains the key of the property I need to display data from. In my example I would like to output the name and age in each object, but I do not know the property name. The only thing I know ahead of time is that the value of type will be the property name I need to access.

{
type: "fwagods",
fwagods: {
    name:"someNameHere",
    }
},
{
type: "zsaf",
zsaf: {
    name:"someName2",
    }
},
{
type: "smorflafaum",
smorflafaum: {
    name:"SomeName3",
    }
}
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's getting more complicated because you have json and it looks as if you have multiple "subevents" within a single event.

But assuming that you have the jsons as separate events, you can do something like that:

<your_search>
| spath
| foreach *.name
[ eval name='<<FIELD>>'
| eval age='<<MATCHSTR>>.age' ]

At this point you'll have your name and age fields with constant names and you're gonna have a type as separate field. Now all you have to do is

| xyseries type name age
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...