Splunk Search

How to use a Lookup File with Multiple Static or Dynamic Values?

chrisschum
Path Finder

We have a standard configuration for our workstations. Several of the fields are static but some are dynamic (but these have a fixed length).

I want to use a lookup table of all the values and apply automatically to a sourcetype.

But I'm not sure how I would go about matching the fields/values with a Lookup Definition.

The standard is 

1=Device Type - Static1 char
2=Building Code - Static3 chars
3=Department Code - Static3 chars
4=Function - Static1 char
5=Asset Tag - Dynamic7 chars

So a machine may be named LBL1HRSSABC1234 indicating it's a laptop in Building 1 in HR Services that is Shared with an asset tag of ABC1234.

How could I use a lookup with these 4 static and 1 dynamic values to populate said values when a search is done on a particular host name.

I should mention that I'm confortable creating the lookup and applying it, just not how to get it to match on the criteria above.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is not a job for lookups.  Use regex-based transformation.

"(?<device_type>.)(?<building_code>...)(?<department_code>...)(?<function>.)(?<asset_tag>.{7})"

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is not a job for lookups.  Use regex-based transformation.

"(?<device_type>.)(?<building_code>...)(?<department_code>...)(?<function>.)(?<asset_tag>.{7})"

Tags (1)

chrisschum
Path Finder

That worked like a charm! Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...