Splunk Search

How to use Splunk ODBC driver to import an excel report to splunk?

sara91
Explorer

Hi All,

I want to import a scheduled excel report generated from one prod system to splunk. When I manually imported it, it showed me encoded as shown below

alt text

I read through few answers to similar query, and found that splunk doesnot support xls foramt. Splunk can upload only text based format file. Then I came across, splunk ODBC driver, in the blog "Excelling with excel in splunk" (link below).

https://www.splunk.com/blog/2016/02/15/excelling-with-excel-in-splunk.html

The blog states that "..... Splunk enables you to connect Excel directly to Splunk with the ODBC Connector for Windows, as well as enabling you to export with outputcsv a csv file. Dominique from Helvetia Insurance has developed a Splunk TA that is freely available on Splunkbase which allows you to import, export and e-mail data in XLS format..... "

But then I did not find qny relevant document which explains "how to import excel sheet using this driver" except the link below to "use it with microsoft excel"
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ODBC/2.1.1/UseODBC/MicrosoftExcel

Is there any relevant document for the same or any other method to analyse the excel reports in splunk?

0 Karma
1 Solution

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

"ODBC connection" is a function to access Splunk data from Excel. It is not a function to import into Splunk.
It is common to convert to CSV and import.

Although it may be possible to import with "SPLUNK-> DB CONNECT-> JDBC-> ODBC-> EXCEL", I don't do it because it's cumbersome.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

"ODBC connection" is a function to access Splunk data from Excel. It is not a function to import into Splunk.
It is common to convert to CSV and import.

Although it may be possible to import with "SPLUNK-> DB CONNECT-> JDBC-> ODBC-> EXCEL", I don't do it because it's cumbersome.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...